Kenya Tree question

flower

I have never fraged kenya tree coral, I thought it just dropped branches qand grew new trees. I have four that are pretty bushy and no new little trees. This is the SH tank which is kept cooler than my 90g. (does that make a difference?) My kenya always dropped plenty of branches. These are survivers from my broken heater incident. They were tiny little guys but they have grown and should in my estimation already be dropping branhes so I can rebuild my forest.
Any advice/reassurance would be helpful.

meowzer

Flower...I cut them with scissors, or yank them off with my fingers....
these things IMO are indestructible....LOL.....Just cut off what you don't want, and throw it in your other tank.....(or sell it)

1guydude

+1 i had a branch hangin and i cut it with a razor blade... didnt harm the mother at all! Very hardy coral imo

J

jstdv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386245/kenya-tree-question#post_3391437
Flower...I cut them with scissors, or yank them off with my fingers....
these things IMO are indestructible....LOL.....Just cut off what you don't want, and throw it in your other tank.....(or sell it)
+1 this is how I do it too. Although, my show size tree drops more frags than you can shake a stick at so I haven't had to frag a tree in a loooong time

flower

I want it to grow and spread. I'm disapointed it is just getting bushier instead of giving me frags.
Are telling me to take a pair of scissiors to the little limbs to make them fall? I fragged my finger coral, it's doing good.....

J

jstdv8

when you say spread do you mean like a xenia spreads? like make more of itself at the base and grow out on the rock?
If so that's not how they work, they grow so bushy until they can't get anymore branches into the bush and then it just starts dropping off branches to make room for new ones. It's won't grow outwards on the rock just upwards and bushy outwards at the top like a real tree does.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/386245/kenya-tree-question#post_3391486
I want it to grow and spread. I'm disapointed it is just getting bushier instead of giving me frags.
Are telling me to take a pair of scissiors to the little limbs to make them fall? I fragged my finger coral, it's doing good.....
Yeah FLower...they don't "spread" they multiply.....just chop em up.....and stick them in crevices of holes in the rock....or let them go where they want...LOL
BELIEVE ME....it does not matter what you cut them with....as I said earlier....I have literally ripped some off rocks with my hands and tossed them in another tank

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386245/kenya-tree-question#post_3391491
Yeah FLower...they don't "spread" they multiply.....just chop em up.....and stick them in crevices of holes in the rock....or let them go where they want...LOL
BELIEVE ME....it does not matter what you cut them with....as I said earlier....I have literally ripped some off rocks with my hands and tossed them in another tank
Okay...Thanks

reefkprz

the capnella tree coral is extremely hardy. if you wait long enough it will start throwing limbs. in my experience its usually about a year to a year and a half from the last propagation that it start to toss branches (this is not an exact timeframe it also has a lot to do with water conditions if your are near perfect for it it may not reproduce asexually for a while). reproducing asexually is a survivl technique it drops branchesin hopes that the branch may find a more ideal condition. but I have noticed they almost all start to drop branches after they fully mature. if your coral is getting really bushy it may be getting ready to start dropping limbs. but dont be afraid to just chop off a limb or 5 and rubberband otherwise secure them down in the location you want them you would be really hard pressed to damage that coral. as others have mentioned cut with anything, scissors, razor, pich with finger nails, tear.....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ http:///forum/thread/386245/kenya-tree-question#post_3391743
the capnella tree coral is extremely hardy. if you wait long enough it will start throwing limbs. in my experience its usually about a year to a year and a half from the last propagation that it start to toss branches (this is not an exact timeframe it also has a lot to do with water conditions if your are near perfect for it it may not reproduce asexually for a while). reproducing asexually is a survivl technique it drops branchesin hopes that the branch may find a more ideal condition. but I have noticed they almost all start to drop branches after they fully mature. if your coral is getting really bushy it may be getting ready to start dropping limbs. but dont be afraid to just chop off a limb or 5 and rubberband otherwise secure them down in the location you want them you would be really hard pressed to damage that coral. as others have mentioned cut with anything, scissors, razor, pich with finger nails, tear.....
I love the folks like you on this site...that's some awesome information. This is my SH tank and it is near perfect water..in the very troubled 90g it dropped limbs all the time. I thought something might be wrong when it wasn't dropping limbs like before. I can wait and let it be, as long as it's healthy. Thanks.