Kenya tree

fosser

I just bought a Kenya tree from my LFS and after 2 days it looks like something is growing on the bottom of the rock. I'm new to corals and this is one of my first corals so I am unaware of what it is. Please help my identify.

meowzer

it's aptasia.....a pest anemone....you want to kill it
you can inject it with boiling water.....lemon juice.....or buy a product called Joe's Juice
OR....you can buy a bag of pickling lime and make your own mix...this works for me

flower

Aptasia X works great. Squirt the stuff right into the little disk without touching it...do it quick, because they spread like fire. Boiling water is a joke, and lemon juice does nothing. By the time the water boils, you draw it into a syringe, to get into the tank, and reach the critter, it's too cooled off to do any damage. I have also tried the lemon juice and it didn't hurt it at all. Joes juice can be hard to find.

mikeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394797/kenya-tree#post_3514190
Aptasia X works great. Squirt the stuff right into the little disk without touching it...do it quick, because they spread like fire. Boiling water is a joke, and lemon juice does nothing. By the time the water boils, you draw it into a syringe, to get into the tank, and reach the critter, it's too cooled off to do any damage. I have also tried the lemon juice and it didn't hurt it at all. Joes juice can be hard to find.
+1 on Aptasia X. I've used it a few times and had success with it. Take care of it asap before it spreads.

I introduced a Green Leather Toadstool yesterday to my tank, and noticed it had some aptasia growing at the base. I watched one of my blue-legged hermit crabs eat it today. So that might be worth a try.