Kenya Tree's Branches falling off?!?

am00re34

So i came home today and found a few branches of my kenya tree laying on the sand and rocks in my tank. Is this a way kenya tree's reproduce? I dont know if its under distress or if this is a good thing.
help!

teresaq

Yup thats what they do, or at least mine does now and then. I just attach the branches to little pieces of rock, and trade them.
T

groupergenius

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2479855
Yup thats what they do, or at least mine does now and then. I just attach the branches to little pieces of rock, and trade them.
T
Yep, they can drop a lot of them in a short time sometimes. If you have some small pieces of LR and rubber bands works well. Just strap them to the rock.

pinstripe

Branching is a good thing! I read somewhere that if you have reproduction in your tank, that you have a happy resident. I got a piece of Kenya free once when I bought another piece of coral. The one I paid for died in a week but the kenya spreads like wildfire! Just an FYI, I pick up the "budded" pieces and just stick them in little crevaces in the live rock where it looks like I need something and it attaches itself in less than a week.

am00re34

Great... i thought it was a good thing. I moved it about 2 weeks ago because my RBTA was touching it and ever since i moved it to the new location it has probably doubled in size. I think i will get some rubble or plugs and attach them and see if anyone wants them because i dont want anymore kenya tree in my tank.
As for xenia i just have it appear all over the place. Its like it shoots spores in the water and when they land they grow because i have pieces growing clear across the tank from the main colony.

pinstripe

Just like xenia, I have heard people complain about it growing like "weeds" in captivity. I guess it depends on the way you want your tank to look. I have about 12 other kinds of coral, but as the kenya spreads, I kind of like having one predominate coral in my tank. However, I'm with you, I might try and sell some of mine. Worst case scenario, it will always bud and grow back.

spanko

Whole discussion is what fragging and coral propagation is all about. A great way to get some extra bucks to buy salt, test reagents, food etc. Most LFS will take them on for store credit.