Kevin_Bullis's 20 gallon SPS dominate tank build

kevin_bullis

So, I have begun to start my SPS dominate 20 gallon nano build. So far I have 17-18lbs. of base rock to seed with live rock, and the 20 gallon tank. This will be a slow process with lighting most likely done last. But here is my goal.
Tank: AGA 20 Galllon
Base Rock: 7lbs. Key west, Florida
10-11lbs. Tonga Branch
now to the planned equipment
Filter: Aquaclear 110 & whatever the smallest one is, the 20? I think, to be gutted for a fruge.
Salt: Reef Crystals
Lighting: Aqualight Advanced Series HQI Metal Halide Fixture (150W)
Substrate: Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Reef Sand and Reef Substrate (Black Beach Sand)
There won't be a skimmer run on this system.
Live Stock:
4x pink skunk clowns (until a pair forms then the others will be sold)
2x Blue neon gobies
Here are some pictures of the progress:

Let me know what you think.
-Kevin

cje0114

when I was doing SPS tanks a few years ago, they weren't happy without a skimmer and a calcium reactor.
SPS were awesome to keep, but needed pristine water conditions at all times.

kevin_bullis

After reading I have begun to realize this, however this will be my first actual reef tank, so I am debating on doing some softies and LPS until I get the hang of it then place in some SPS on I get used to the routine of a reef? Good Idea?
Kevin

maelv

Originally Posted by Kevin_Bullis
http:///forum/post/3264427
I am debating on doing some softies and LPS until I get the hang of it then place in some SPS on I get used to the routine of a reef? Good Idea?
Kevin
Kevin,
Not only is this a great idea, it is a responsible and money saving idea. :)
I have spent (as I am sure many others have as well) too much money on SPS that have just died on me.