Kid put soap in my reef tank!!!!

h2oengr

Hate to sound like a brown-noser, but we've bought a bunch of stuff at from this site! We usually buy things on-line. We bought our tank from Venice Pet Store - I like the "staff biologist" there, Neil, he really seems to know his stuff. He's actually got a biology degree. Kinda neat to use it the way he is.
Can you shoot me an E-mail about the LR and LS contact you have? csharek@comcast.net I got some great baserock from someone on the east coast, but we're afraid we're going to have to start all over, LR and LS and all . . .

cindyski

just caught this post. that is a really horrible story. sorry you have to go through all that. i would be flippin out

flydan

Hey,
I am really sorry for your loss. That must have been a nightmare. I hope things get better real soon.
Dan'l
BTW, when someone "bumps" your message it puts it back to the top of the screen so it gets more attention.

h2oengr

Well, I went to 3 different LFSs this afternoon. 2 out of 3 said to just keep doing water changes, skimming the hell out of it to remove the suds, add carbon and a polyfilter. I've done all of this and I'm gonna give it about a month with the right pH and Salinity - nothing more. Maybe then drop a damsel in and see what happens.
Since the hermits are still crawling around, I still have hope! :nervous:
Again, this board is such a great way to share our problems and triumphs! Thanks to everyone - YOU ALL ROCK! :happy:

flydan

Hey,
Glad to hear things are on the mend. Just for a little perspective if you don't mind. At least your kid didn't find a bottle of sleeping

[hr]
or a loaded gun. I know that's not much help but I thought I'd mention it anyway.:)
Dan'l

jodilynn

I am so sorry for what you are going through. What a nightmare:eek: I also bought the childlocks that can only be opened with a magnet and it has been great. My 3 year old did manage to sqeeze his arm behind my oak stand and throw in several small toys into the ecosystem tank (including a pencil). Luckily I found this out the same day it happened. He was scolded so harshly by me that he has not tried it again and he is no quitter
If he even so much as goes within an arms length of it I chase him away. I also make sure that the kids are not allowed any coins of any kind because the copper in pennies would reak havoc on the coral.:scared:
Good luck
Jodilynn

T

thomas712

Awfully sorry to hear about the mishap. I would not mess with half truths and guesses here. I would take the tank apart and start over. Even involving your child and explaining what and why your doing things. Make it a family activity, learining and growing together.
Thomas

h2oengr

Well, we (including the kiddo) had a burial at sea (the toilet) for the fish and we did talk about death. Not fun either way . . .
Most of my hermit crabs are still alive and kickin. I've got a polyfilter in the sump and have everything under control - it seems. My "biologist" at our LFS has been on vacation for almost a week and gets back tomorrow.
Before I take the tank apart and start completely from scratch, I figured I'd let things stabilize for a week or so. It seems I've got all kinds of algae growth now! Go figure! :notsure: You'd think the anti-bacterial would screw things up, but without the snails, I guess there's nothing to control the growth. As a matter of fact, my zoos seem to be "waking up" also. Very, VERY strange.
Regardless, we're going to wait and see for a couple of weeks, then throw in the sacrificial damsel! :)

beaslbob

Sorry for your losses.
glad to hear things are starting to recover.
I think if you let the algae thrive the system will be recovered sooner than you think. And my recover faster than if you tore everything down ans started over.
Good luck and keep us posted.

blackomne

Most of my hermit crabs are still alive and kickin. I've got a polyfilter in the sump and have everything under control - it seems. My "biologist" at our LFS has been on vacation for almost a week and gets back tomorrow.
:mad:
You have Biologists on staff no fair, I get high school drop outs at the local stores here.
:scared: