Killing Aiptasia Question

robpsca

Every time i kill one 10 new ones appear do they spawn when killed or what i use pickling lime kills them instantly but so many come back but when i dont do anything hardly any new ones reappear just the ones there get bigger

gregghia

I keep hearing the magic fix is Peppermint shrimp. I am on round 3 of these darn things and I get nothing. i still believe they are the fix but each time I spend $25 on 3 of them, put them in the tank and never see them again. I know the last three are still in there but I never see them on the aptasia.
Are you actually seeing them eat it?

bill109

Originally Posted by gregghia
I keep hearing the magic fix is Peppermint shrimp. I am on round 3 of these darn things and I get nothing. i still believe they are the fix but each time I spend $25 on 3 of them, put them in the tank and never see them again. I know the last three are still in there but I never see them on the aptasia.
i agree.. i have had 3. not only does my 6 line eat them and have them gone b4 i figure out y they are missing but i have a HUGE one a rock the thing has gotta be about 1.5-3 inches tall.. how do u kill one piece?

robpsca

Originally Posted by gregghia
same here kept hiding till it died cple months later

socal57che

Originally Posted by bill109
i have a HUGE one a rock the thing has gotta be about 1.5-3 inches tall.. how do u kill one piece?
Calk paste, lemon juice or joes juice. Have heard that people have killed them with boiling water, but I can't.
Calk and lemon juice will affect ph if overdosed so don't use too much. Not sure what's in joes juice, but it's prolly acidic, too.

breiwa1

The pepermint shrimp are working for me. I counted 30-40 before I bought the shrimp now there are less then 3. I think they (I have 2) eat a few every night. Good luck.

lexluethar

Peppermint shrimp worked for me - the SECOND i placed it into the tank he ran towards a group of aspia and started pulling them out and eating them. I've had mine for 9 months with no issues (other than it eating some soft corals and nipping at a BTA). I think if you are going to be successful with the peppermint shrimp you need to do two things:
1. make sure the aspia isn't too big, or that the shrimp isn't too small - i've noticed once the aspia get to a certain size the shrimp usually won't eat it
2. you need to not feed the shrimp for a few days - this may be difficult when you have a lot of tank mates - but my peppermint would rather eat fish food / shrimp rather than aspia.
3. i think you need to introduce the shrimp first - right when you notice a few aspia - once the tank is well established and you have a lot of corals and other fish it becomes difficult to control the enviroment (IE making sure the peppermint only has the aspia to eat).
Hope this helps - I've heard a lot of people having success with Joes Juice too.

ci11337

I agree with try not to feed the shrimp, i think thats why mine nvr did anything but come out during feeding time.