killing aiptasia

bgbdwlf2500

well i tried the boiling water method last night. it worked like a charm. i tried it on 2 of them, the first one survived because i didnt hit it good or use enough water. the second one i was able to shoot the water right down its "throat" for about 2 seconds and it just withered on away.
all i did was boil a small pain of water, use a turkey baster to suck the water up, aim at the anemone and let it have it.
of course, watch out for your fish when you do this. only thing i didnt do was treat the water with water conditioner first. dont think the small amount affect anything but after i did spray the water in there i dumped some water treatment in. everything is ok today except for that one anemone

morval

boiling water is good and cheap. if you want somthing a little stronger you can make home made Joe's juice, mix kalkwasser dust with some tank water till u have a nice paste cover aptasia and your done. i had bought a bottle of joes juice before i discovered this so i use the syringe that came with that to apply. this is way cheaper and its the same thing
Joe's juice: $12 for less that an ounce
kalk mix: $11 for a tub that will make gallons

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by morval
http:///forum/post/2647659
boiling water is good and cheap. if you want somthing a little stronger you can make home made Joe's juice, mix kalkwasser dust with some tank water till u have a nice paste cover aptasia and your done. i had bought a bottle of joes juice before i discovered this so i use the syringe that came with that to apply. this is way cheaper and its the same thing

i had read that as well as using lime juice... boiling water worked like a charm so will stick to that probably..i only see 4 more that need to be taken care of.

ofc175

Id use Joe's juice or the kalk mix.....Boiling water can also kill near by creatures that u want whereas the others are very pinpoint on what gets the axe

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by ofc175
http:///forum/post/2648037
Id use Joe's juice or the kalk mix.....Boiling water can also kill near by creatures that u want whereas the others are very pinpoint on what gets the axe
well as i said i missed the first one and it immediately came back... so i assume if you dont hit what youre NOT trying to kill directly it will be ok... i got the one that was right next to my BTA and the BTA is fine.. The BTA never flinched

t316

Originally Posted by morval
http:///forum/post/2647659
Where do you buy kalkwasser dust? Not exactly stocked on the walmart shelf

floridabob

bet you $5.00 bucks you can find it at walmart lol
mrs wags pickleing lime or balls pickleing lime look in canning section
where they sell the mason jars . thats what i use
florida bob

t316

Originally Posted by floridabob
http:///forum/post/2653796
bet you $5.00 bucks you can find it at walmart lol
mrs wags pickleing lime or balls pickleing lime look in canning section
where they sell the mason jars . thats what i use
florida bob
So that's what it is, pickeling lime? I knew I hadn't seen anything labeled "kalkwasser dust"

hambone

So what do you do with the "toothpaste"? Just put a dab on the end, or do you need to completely cover the aps? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

E

emeralcrab

I use a very small needle in a syringe, like a diabetic needle, load with lemon juice and stick it right down the throat of the little devils. Good riddens and by by they go. Haven't lost any polyps or anything next to them yet. Cheap and works great. And you only use a very little. I just squirt it until I see a little coming out.

mantisman51

Here's a super-newbie question: What is the big deal with aiptasia? I have had my FOWLR for 2 years. After 20 years of FW, I thought I might as well give it a try. I read all over of the scourge of aiptasia. What gives?