Killing Aptasia!!!

koolkev

HI... im not sure if that's the way u spell it but... i have a ton of aptasia in my fish tank the little palm tree like things that have a type of peach pigment... I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of it... and trust me i have tried eveything from putting it in the microwave to plucking the little bugers off my self... but when i pluck them off it comes back more and bigger then it was before... the microwave worked in killing it but all the coraline form the live rock turned white and took a couple months to grow back... and now it is taking over my tank by growing on the glass and sand not just on the coraline... I even found a aptasia plant thing on one of my snails... NOT GOOD!!!
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Thanx,
Kevin
aka koolkev

nas19320

Peppermint shrimp, Berghia nudibranches, Joes Juice, Kalk paste, are all ways you can kill Aiptasia. DOn't rip them, it just causes them to spread faster.

darknes

I was just curious, where did you get the idea of microwaving your live rock??
I'm sorry but I found that amusing

koolkev

I seriously don't know... I just wanted to experiment... It was a small piece with two aptasia plant thing on it... It killed them but it killed the coraline!!!

thederek

yea, I got 2 peppermint shrimp for my 20 gallon when i had the same problem...within 2 or 3 weeks it was completely gone and i had about 100 baby shrimp in my tank, which unfortunantly were quickly eaten by my fish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There have been a lot of discussions about this. Try using our search feature here.
I use Kalkwasser mixed in water and inject them in the mouth with a syringe.

viper_930

Originally posted by daman
Get a few. If you keep them and get a male and female then you might have some eegs in 3-4 weeks.

Pep. shrimp are hermaphroditic, so any two can mate.

saltisuzi

Originally posted by Beth
There have been a lot of discussions about this. Try using our search feature here.
I use Kalkwasser mixed in water and inject them in the mouth with a syringe.

I had a LOT of them and used this same procedure....works like a charm!!

B

big911dog

i have tried eveything from putting it in the microwave

are you the same guy who M80'd the Mantis???