kinda new tank

jstudly21

I have a saltwater tank, wetdry filtering system, 75 gallons, ummm about 70 or so pounds of live rock. I have a cleaner shrimp, sand sifting starfish, ummm two orange starfish and a blue one. i also have a marine betta grouper. whats the max amount of live rock i could use? i was thinking of stacking it all the way to the top and put lots of caves. I would also like to know what kind of fish i could get if possible? hope to hear from someone thank you!

I

ivanfj

It only depends on how you like the look of your LR. If you wanna get more to make more caves, then get more. If you like it right now, then leave it like right now. There's no limit to how much LR you can put in a tank. Oh well, I guess you can only put as much LR as the tank can hold.
As for other fish, start w/ some easier fish like clowns and gobies. Those are good beginner fish. Never had a marine betta before, so couldn't comment on it. 75gal is a touchy size IMO, some people say yes to tangs, some don't.

jstudly21

so how much do you think a 75 can hold? the bottom wont break out or anything will it? i am hoping not anyways haha I have like three sea anenomes (spelling ) i have a long sabae one and the other ones are little sea anenomes. my parents buy me random things so we havent had much success. so that is why i am looking for some guidance. i have some snails and crabs too. i forget to mention some of the things, oh i do have a red banded goby or something like that he is red and white.
do you know how a marine betta grouper and a blue hippo tang would interact?

jstudly21

by the way thank you for your response where is my manners.
i was thinking of fish for like caves, got any suggestions? my marine betta grouper is pretty shy. he tends to hide in the caves and he swims out of the caves but when no one is around lol every once and awhile i catch him. he tends to stay in his cave and eat kinda a timid fish. i thought maybe if i told you about him, you could kinda point in a direction?
thanks again

I

ivanfj

I don't know about yours, but I think marine betta is a pretty passive fish and it shouldn't have any problems with the hippo. But I would suggest you slow things down a bit and do a little more research first. How old is your tank anyway??? It sounds like you have a lot of stuffs for a young tank.
If you haven't done any research on anemones, I can tell you now that they are not easy to keep and they have pretty high demands in everything. Lighting is a big part of their diets and if you only have the regular lighting that comes w/ the tank, that sure cannot keep the anemones too well.

I

ivanfj

Can you list out your overall setup???
LR, LS, filter/skimmer, lighting, fish, inverts etc etc
That could really help us to make a few good suggestions.

jstudly21

i have the icecaps the four bulb system like two flourecent i think and two regular i guess you call them. my tank has been established sorta. i have ran into a few problems, one being moving that kinda screwed everything up. the second problem was i got a maroon clownfish that hosted with anenome but he bullied everything else i had. The last recent problem was green carpent anenome my parents brought home. he killed my foxface lo that i had for awhile and my yellow tang. we had to sell back the green carpet anenome and get very little but it was costing us alot of money haha

I

ivanfj

Your lighting isn't bad at all, but does that come with MH (metal Halide)??? Only MH could provide the intensity of the lights that an anemone requires for their diet. You would have a tougher time housing an anemone if you don't have MH.
Haha, I do understand that moving does screw things around. I've moved my tank as well and it's devastating to start again.
Green carpet anemones I heard from people on this board that they are known to kill fish once in a while and I am sorry for your loss, but you made a good decision IMO giving it back to the LFS.

belothsurf

Yes, there is a limit to how much live rock you can put into a tank. The suggested is 1.5lbs per gallon, on "AVERAGE"....
Live rock can serve several different purposes, but when the average "amount" term is used, it is referring to how much LR to support the bio load of an average reef tank. Every piece of lr you put into a tank displaces an amount of water, all depending on the size and density,porosity,etc. of the piece of lr. Fill any tank to the brim with Live rock, and you are not going to have no where near the actual amount of water the tank capacity. And unless you want a live rock tank, fish need a lot more water than they need rock.................