KIP Bigmac or other Mag users.

zanemoseley

I have had my mag9.5 for about 7 months now and have cleaned it 2-3 times in that time. The last few days we've had a few occurances of flickering power due to storms. Last night the mag crapped out and I can't get it to start agian. I've cleaned it well with vinegar. As far as I know there were no power outages last night. I've already ordered a replacement Eheim pump which will hopefully be more reliable but would like to get the mag up again till the new pump comes. Technically the only thing that I can't use with my sump down is the skimmer since I have put my won digital heater in the tank. What can I do to start it up again. I tried turning the pump on without the frontplate on and it wouldn't start then till I push the impeller paddle with my finger at which point the pump doused me with diluted vinegar. Any ideas?
One more thing when I have the impeller completely disassembled the magnet will not slide off the white ceramic shaft, it slight budges but won't go off the shaft. Is freeing the magnet from the shaft key to getting it to run again.

squidd

Agree...
A proper cleaning will have the impeller spinning freely on the shaft and the shaft able to slide in and out of the impeller freely.
If your having a hard time getting the shaft out of the impeller, rather than "beating"on it and risking breakage, tap it as far as it will go one way and soak in vinagar for 15 min to 1/2 hr...then tap as far as it will go the other way... soak and repeate until you can "work it" all the way out.
CaCO3 is white, as is the shaft, so it's hard to see the "encrustation" but once it starts to come off you can "pick" the rest off with a finger nail or soak and scrape with a dull knife, which shouldn't hurt the shaft...

birdy

The people at the Danner company advised me to soak the ceramic shaft in undiluted vinegar overnight, she said many saltwater tank users have two impellers that they switch out, to clean them.

golfish

Originally posted by zanemoseley
So kip are you saying I should be able to slip the magnet on and off the ceramic shaft without a hammer :rolleyes:

You have to be careful because the shafts break easy. I just bang mine up and down on my work bench a little at a time soaking in vinegar when they get stuck. I'm about done with these pumps. My last Mag 12 stopped after just two weeks of running.