KIP or other Nikon 5700 users.

zanemoseley

Ok I'm pretty good with macro shots and manual focus. Most of the time I prefer to use no flash because I think it better represents the true color of the coral, when I use flash I get a variety of results in color and lighting. The thing I really don't like is when I use flash in macro mode on a subject close to the front of the tank I sometimes get a picture that is washed out with too much light. Is there a way to make the flash less bright. I use the auto setting for shutter speed and aperature size so it couldn't be me setting those wrong. I suppose lowering the shutter speed or decreasing the aperature size (increasing F stop number ) would darken the pic but thats too much work for something that shouldn't happen in the first place.

spline9

I have a Nikon CoolPix995 and it has the option for variable flash power.
I just looked up your camera and yes, it has the ability for variable flash power. You can turn it down so it wont oversaturate the image.
Check under the Record Setup Menu.
Also, if you find that the flash shoots too high, maybe use your finger and aim the flash lower. Mine is like that and it seems to help a lot when the subject is really close to the lens. Although when its too close the lens will just cast a shadow on the subject. Then you will have to get creative and use reflectors (foil works) or other flash units.
Hope this helps.
BTW, I agree with the not-using-flash thing. You can adjust your white balance to compensate that so it wont look so off. There should also be adjustments to the "speedlight" white balance. Take a peek at that also.
The camera menus seem to be pretty much the same so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.