Kip4130 question

crazy8

Okay....I got sidetracked and never ordered my lights. I was wondering if you think the SeaLife power compacts 4x65 (2 10k & 2 Actinic) light fixture would be good enough for a standard 55 gal. I am not looking to have the toughest clams or anything. My tank is less than 2 feet deep. I want lighting mostly for color in my tank. I don't have coraline algae growing at all to speak of. I may nibble at a few other things like an anenome for my clown etc but nothing too fragile.
Anyway I can get that set for half the 175 MH set and if it would do what I need, would be better in the long run. I have my system completely enclosed and I am worried about head from the MH's and getting enough distance from the water.
Oh and finally, if you were still considering getting rid of any excess macro algae you had, I would love to send you the $ for shipping. No pressure of course ;) I know it would be a lot more trouble than you may want to deal with.

doxboi

I have a 55 gallon tank and I use a
48" 4x65W Coralife Aqualight CF hood, 2x Actinic and 2x 10,000K
Man this light works greta and it makes the tank look beautiful!!!!!!! And in the long run it will be good for anything you want to add to your tank.

crazy8

Thanks DoxBoi. Going to run about $280 with shipping, but that is a lot cheaper than the $600+ for MH's

reefnut

Originally posted by Crazy8
I may nibble at a few other things like an anenome for my clown etc but nothing too fragile.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but an anenome is very fragile and most species require a lot of light.

crazy8

You're absolutely right ReefNut.....I didn't want to hear that!
I had read it before as well, but I am thinking that if the anenome is in the top 1/2 of the tank (on rock) it should receive enough lighting. Am I wrong on this. My water conditions are perfect although I don't plan on adding one for a while. I want to have a much more established tank. I have only had fish in my tank for something around 1 month and set up for a little over 2 months now.
If I could avoid the heat/cost/space problems that MH would cause me I would love to do it. 65W x 4 just like described above....what could/couldn't I keep in your opinion?

crazy8

Oh yes I am :D I am interested in all opinions. I mean, if I thought I could handle the heat issue, I would buy 250W MH setup. I think of buying 175 MH with 110 VO for about $600 and figure I should have everything possible covered if I did that, but even then, I am not sure. Then I see the 4x65 PC and think that 260W for 55 gal is about what many people recommend when they say 4-5 W /gal and that is a slimer model, has less heat, and cheaper initial cost as well as bulb cost.
But I don't want to buy something that I want to replace 5 months down the road.
Anyway, that is why I was wondering if the PC's would do most everything in my tank, or if I had to jump up to MH. Even then I would like to know if I need 250 or if 175 would be better since I may have a ventilation problem.
Thanks again in advance and just because I ask a follow-up doesn't mean I am not listening to the advise. ;)

reefnut

Your tank, your choice ;). 260w of PC is a pretty good bit of light for a 55g. I just wanted to point out the anenome thing. I'm not saying you need MH to keep them, just that they are fragile IMO and need good lighting.
As far as you being happy with them, that's a personal choice. If you do not plan to keep sps or clams they will probably do nicely. I have read a few people preferring VHOs to PC but again that's a personal preference.

Crazy8,
here is my tank. I have a 55 gal with 260w pc fixture. I have shroom, gargonians, colt, tree leather, hairy mushroom, gsp and a hammer. Everything is wonderful but I don't feel I have enough light. I say get the halides. If you get a retro and build a hood you can keep them off the water 8 inches or so and put fans blowing under them 2 in on one end and 2 out on the other. And by the way that pc fixture get bloody hot. Mine raised the tank temp what I believe was tremendously and I had it lifted off tank top around 3 inches. I added a fan to keep it cool. If you get the halides you will have alot more options later and you will want bigger later(I am in process of finding a custon 120+). then if you do go bigger your lights will work. Hope some of this made your choice easier one way or the other.
Rich

crazy8

Thanks Lobster....
It's funny cause when I started reading your reply I thought....PC was the way to go. You had a lot of thing in your tank that I would consider and they handled it fine.
Then you mentioned how you wanted more lights and made the correct point of MH's could be moved to a bigger tank.
........ and then you mentioned the heat from the PCs. Now I would think that your MH lights would generate even more heat, but I guess if you lifted them high enough and were creative, you could fan that heat out.
In short (too late), yes your reply helped. I will probably work on rebuilding my top to see if I can get the clearance and ventilation necessary for MH lights. Because ultimately what I heard in your response is that you wanted more light. I don't want to end up WANTING more than I get.

doxboi

The lights I told you about sits like 5 inches over tank. It did heat my water up dramatically when I had it sitting right on my tank, but when I bought the legs for ot that stand it up it was not a problem anymore. Remember Anemones will move to where they feel they are comfortable. This light in a 55 gallon is great, but I would have to say that metal halides are very cool to. I probably would not get halides unles I had a bigger tank though. My lights do have fans built in so thats cool. Halides look cool and get the job done also. In fact if I went past a 90 gallon tank I would definatly get halides. I have 5 anemones now and they all look great! They are different species. Investigate to come to your decision:D