Know a good LFS in Central/Northern NJ??

sorcha

We're pretty new to the hobby and are looking for the best places in Central/Northern NJ to go. We will be ordering some things from this site (the feedback is so good), but some of the things we really want to see in person first.
Most places have a freshwater focus and just a little bit of marine livestock. Can anyone suggest a quality Saltwater store??
:notsure:

misfit

Where in Jersey are you , I know of a few good places dont know where to send you though? Welcome to the hobby

rara12

look for absolutely fish. Just googly the name they have directions on their site. 9,000 gallons of saltwater and 5,000 freshwater. Quality fish.

sorcha

Originally Posted by misfit
Where in Jersey are you , I know of a few good places dont know where to send you though? Welcome to the hobby

Thanks!
We're in Hunterdon County, near Warren & Morris counties. But I'm from Union county originally, so I'm familiar with much of central Jersey. As long as we have a good place to go see, we have no problems making a drive out of it. The kids get a huge kick out of it when we go to the LFS. We let them pick out an orange linkia for the 25 gallon last week. Cute little bugger.

sorcha

Originally Posted by rara12
look for absolutely fish. Just googly the name they have directions on their site. 9,000 gallons of saltwater and 5,000 freshwater. Quality fish.

YES!! This place looks just fantastic! Thank you. The tank is ready for some livestock and we'd rather see them in person to start with. We both have off this Wedesnday, I'm feeling a Field Trip coming on!!

sharkbait9

i am gonna be checking this place out for sure. Just by the web sit it put tropiquarium to shame. Then again that not hard. Oceanaruim is a pretty good lfs too in manalapan/marlboro on rt 9 Owners cool knows his stuff, the place has only been open for a couple of months. Check it out if your in the area. ask me where not to shop and i'll be more then glad to pass that info on.

fishfryer

i tried to find that fish store on rt 9 in manalapan and could not find it. what stores is it next to? :cheer:

grmreapr

absolutly fish is nice a little high priced but really good i have a good friend who works at a pet store by my house and he is good can get me anything I live in warren county near phillipsburg there are two good ones in pa not to far from me and I dont know but there used to be one in scotch plains off of rte. 22 haven been there in a long time so I cant really tell you much thats all I can think of right now.

cowfishrule

you have aaron's aquarium in union center- very nice store, prices negotiable.
you have underwater world in roselle park- more for corals than fish.

sorcha

Thanks so much for all the input everyone. Now we have a few locations to check out beyond what we're doing now.
We go to a LFS in Phillipsburg right down Rt. 22 from the mall, The Pet Stop. Their selection isn't that great, but the guy in there is cool and he'll order anything for us if we ask him too. I think his prices are a little high though from what I've seen and I'd like to see his tanks cared for a little better.
Then there is the Shark Aquarium in Hillside on Rt. 22 West. All fish, but the majority is freshwater. Hit or miss on the marine fish and corals, etc., but their prices are good there.

grmreapr

haha yeah the pet stop is where my friend scott works heavy set guy he is really good with salt there tryin to get things re arranged there but he def knows what he is talking about and is very helpful.
p.s. if you know where lehigh valley mall is there is a fish store called shear heaven excellent place drop me a line if you need directions to get there.

sleasia

If you can hop over to staten island there is Reef Fantasy on victory blvd near manor road.
or on Richmond avenue, you can go to Animal Kingdom.

sorcha

We took the trip and it was an excellent display. So much to see, most I've seen in one place.
They are expensive! The staff wasn't very friendly. But worst of all - they sold us a purple pseudocromis that had Ick! Wasn't obvious until we had him a couple of days because he was hiding in the rock. Very obvious under the Actinics. Being new to this, we were stupid in how we handled it and it wound up wiping out all but a Yellow Tang in our tank. (saved him by soaking the food in garlic juice, actually worked! Too late for our beloved Midas Blenny though). We were almost stocked on our fish and now they're all gone but the one. &*$#%
Called the store when we found it. They didn't give a rat's

[hr]
, not about water quality, not about anything.
Also, they talked us out of the flake we were going to buy, into something more expensive. Eh, we went for it...nothing but the best, right? Got home (90 minutes away) to find it was FRESHWATER flakes...the fish wouldn't touch it.
Overall, a lousy experience with them. I would take the trip to a store that was honest and worth it...THEY ARE NOT!