Kole Tang and Lawnmower Blenny compatability

angelgirl

I am thinking of trying them together again for the third time and am wondering if anyone else have had problems . Last two times I have lost the blenny and am wondering

Thanks for your help
Angelgirl

promisetbg

Koles do not like LMB's or other blennies in my experience. I believe it is because of the competition for algae. My friend has gone through an LMB and now her Kole is harassing her new starry blenny. You might find one that would'nt...but it's probably hit or miss. Koles can get pretty aggressive. I have a Tomini tang...same family of tang and somewhat pushy towards my LMB. He's a big guy though so he pretty much holds his own...with them it's never violent.

dogstar

I agree with promise, I had a Kole tang that would chase my LMB every time it would see it and thats in a 150g. Sometimes it would swim all the way across the tank at it. The Kole died last year because of hurrican problems and now I have a Blue Eye thats a lot smaller than the Kole was and it does the same thing.
The Blenny is large and is OK but its just stressfull for it you know.
I think any tang in the genus Ctenochaetus ( bristle-tooth/rasping,scraping type mouth ) Like the Kole, Blue Eye, as with promise's freind's Tomini, Chevrons, ect. will act the same way.
I agree its because of the simular feeding habits and competition for the same types of food because the LMB as well as many other blennies have the same type of mouth and teeth design.

3bavboys

sorry to hijack a thread , but what about a diamond goby and a kole tang - i am about to add both in the next couple of weeks

dogstar

Originally Posted by 3bavboys
sorry to hijack a thread , but what about a diamond goby and a kole tang - i am about to add both in the next couple of weeks
I dont think a Kole would bother a sifter goby. I have a Tiger goby and the Blue Eye ignors it.

N

nereef

my kole tang was pretty aggressive toward my diamond goby. the tang would chase the goby back into its hole every time it came out. it made the goby pretty skinny.

3bavboys

damm
i've got lots of detrius in my sand
HAVE to have the kole
90g fowlr
pr of clowns
6 line
coral beauty
cc strfsh
cleaner shrimp
so , what else works - to clean up my sand
or , try to add both ?

promisetbg

The Kole will do nothing for your sand..neither will the LMB. Nassarius and cerith snails and a fighting conch will help. Using a turkey baster to suspend the detritus so your skimmer can remove it also helps. And just before a water change, blast everything with a turkey baster and syphon the top of the sand very lightly for visible detritus. Sandsifting stars and gobies eat benefricial organisms...so you want sandshifters..not sandsifters.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by 3bavboys
thx ,
so,
sandshifting reccommendations ?

Originally Posted by promisetbg

Nassarius and cerith snails and a fighting conch will help. Using a turkey baster to suspend the detritus so your skimmer can remove it also helps. And just before a water change, blast everything with a turkey baster and syphon the top of the sand very lightly for visible detritus. .

N

nereef

Originally Posted by Johnbob
I have a diamond goby with my Kole Tang and they get along just fine.
how long have you had them together? how big a tank?

johnbob

Its a 55 gallon(I know its too small for the Kole but he's only 4 inch and will be moved to my 180 in June) I've had the Kole Tang for about 4 months and the goby for about 2.5. I only had problems with my Kole when I had a lemonpeel angel. But him and the goby get along great and the Kole doesn't even mind when the goby enters its boat that it sleeps in. Which is odd because it didn't like the lemonpeel coming near it at all. But still it could be based on the personality of the individual fish and being that I haven't had the fish for too long I might run into problems later on.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by Johnbob
But still it could be based on the personality of the individual fish and being that I haven't had the fish for too long I might run into problems later on.
its amazing how different the personalities of the same species of fish can be. your kole tang should be alright in the 55. good luck with the pair in the future.