kole tang sick???

gilbert

I don't know. I don't know if anything can save the tang anymore. It's hanging out in the corner of the tank, in a cave. Earlier today it was almost on the sandbed, and it looked like his coral banded shrimp was cleaning it. Do they do that? The tang isn't on the sandbed, and as of yesterday it still ate off of the algae clip, but it won't eat the mysis anymore. If we could get a treatment tank tomorrow, could we save it? We could do frequent water changes, or use sand from his tank that's already cycled. But if we had to do water changes everyday, would tap water be alright? We don't have a reliable source or RO/DI water, and we only have two five gallon buckets to store water from a store in. Plus my dad has to work, and I can't drive yet, so getting water would be an issue.

gilbert

The tang just died... It had ich really bad... I don't think we could have done anything... We caught it too late.

hawkfish203

If you had listened to beth four days ago you def could have saved the tang. That was def aggression that stressed the tang out causing it to get the ich. Ive seen it time after time. And you should always have a QT tank.

gilbert

We don't have any room for a quarantine tank. We barely had room for the display, and it looks out of place. As for listening to Beth in the first place, I think it had ich for at least a week or two before I even posted this. I mistook ich on its fins for sand particles, because some other fish that we had had before also had sand on their fins. However, looking back, all of those fish died as well, so...

hawkfish203

You should take a look at fish with different diseases so you know what your looking at. yup it definitely wasn't sand. QT tanks are very important for this exact reason.

gilbert

Yeah... But we won't be getting any other fish anytime soon. The fish we have don't seem to have ich, but we are continuing monitor them. They all have good appetites, look fine, and are staying out in the open, so so far it looks good. I've been looking at, googling, and researching diseases, so I think I have a good idea of what to look for.

gilbert

It wasn't aggression. I found this description of the yellow coris wrasse on a website (I can't say which) which reads:
A moderately sturdy fish, the Yellow ‘Coris’ Wrasse is an unusual colored fish and will spend most of it’s early introduction hiding in sand. Yellow Coris Wrasses are best known for their ability to eat fireworms, flatworms and pyramidillid snails. Yellow Coris Wrasses will tolerate being kept in small groups and can be housed with other docile species of fish like flasher wrasses, Firefish, leopard wrasses and small gobies. They may even clean other fishes. Yellow Coris Wrasses require sand as this is where they sleep and will hide when they are stressed or frightened.
So when I said that our coris was "picking at it," I didn't mean it was attacking the tang. I meant that it looked liked the wrasse was biting at something on the tang. You know what a fish looks like when it eats? It looked like that. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.