Koralia Pumps ?'s

I would like to add a Koralia type pump to my system, but I have a couple questions. Besides flow rate, is there a reason to go with the Magnum series over the 'normal' series? I read a comment about the 'normal' ones having some louder noise with electroic start up, is this true and what is it?
I was also thinking of the 'dual head' system in this thread...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/346952/checkout-my-new-powerheads
Next question is, what size(s) should I get? Since I can only mount them on the end on one side of the sytem I was thinking maybe 2 and have them pointed to cross about mid way across the system.
Thanks!

fishyfun2

I am a beginner with a new tank and don't know the answer to most of your questions.
That being said, i do have a Koralia nano in my tank and it is so quiet that the only way i can tell it's working is to feel the vibration on the outside of the tank near it. I've been thinking about getting a second one for the other side of my tank. Good luck with your purchase!

matt boyer

i have 2 koralia # 1's and 2 # 3's in my tank and cant hear them at all if the magnums make less noise i wouldnt be able to tell.

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by matt boyer
http:///forum/post/2924067
i have 2 koralia # 1's and 2 # 3's in my tank and cant hear them at all if the magnums make less noise i wouldnt be able to tell.
+1
I would go with the regulars. Though, I have to warn you right now, some people have had problems with too much excess electricity in the water caused by the koralias.
Good luck and have fun!

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2924108
+1
I would go with the regulars. Though, I have to warn you right now, some people have had problems with too much excess electricity in the water caused by the koralias.
Good luck and have fun!
Interesting, do you have an alternate suggestion I could look into as well?

shyfish

Hi,
I have 4s in my tank. I love them. They don't fall over and disturb rock and sand, the magnet makes it stay put. I can't hear mine run at all. The skimmer makes the noise if any is heard.
I prefer them to anything on the market. Because of my Anemone I keep them covered with filters I cut to shape and then used clear fishing line to secure it to the pump.

morval

the magnum series have a higher gph and are compatable with the wavemakers, the 1-4 are not recomended to be used with the wavemaker

shyfish

That makes sense. You wouldn't need a wave maker. These babies do a really good job of moving water and making currents without any help. So that would be a plus.

Ok, I am going to go with the 'normal' ones. Now which ones do you recommend? I was going to do 2 of them, both on the same end of the tank, should I buy the 3's or 4's? They are going into a 110g High, (48x18x30).
Thanks!

morval

is you tank tight against the wall? cuz the magnet that goes on the outside is only like 1/4" thick. if it is really not posible to have them on opposite sides than how about having one on the side and one on the back?
and they dont make to much noise at all

scopus tang

Agree with the others that these are not normally very noisy; however I have a #2 that will occassionally become very noisy (keep you awake at night noisy). When that happens, they need to be taken apart and cleaned thouroughly with a semi-stiff brush, and they should quiet back down. It is a good idea to take powerheads and pumps out and run them in a vinegar water solution every so often to clean calcium buildups off of them.

mr_x

i've never had any noise out of any koralias, except an occasional rattle on startup. this is not a problem because you will rarely shut them off, and the noise only lasts about 2 seconds anyway.
i have had a few(3) shock me though, and hydor usa replaced them free of charge.
i would go with atleast 2 koralia 4's on your tank.
i suggest you don't put both on the same end of the tank, because you'll have a dead spot on the side of the tank they are on, and very little flow on the far side as well.

quads4_lif

Another option is to look at the SEIO prop 1000's I like them better than the Korila's. the magnet is much stronger and the Korila #3 which I believe is 850gph is bigger than the SEIO prop 1000 which is 1000gph. And very close in price