Koralia Wavemaker Or No Wavemaker

msch1999

I have a 210 gallon that I am going to add 2 Koralia 4's to. My question is, should I purchase the wavemaker that goes to them, or would it be just fine to leave them on constant. I am looking for some advice now, because I noticed that there are two different powerheads depending on what you are going to do with them. I plan on putting one on each end of the tank pointing towards the center.Do you think the placement of these would be ok? Any advice is highly appreciated.

grubsnaek

depends on your set up. if you have a reef, and willing to spend the extra money on the timer that goes with it. then yes. the corals will respond good to a wavemaker, if you have a fish only. then the regulars koralia's would be fine. the none wave maker one will work in a reef also. but just not pulsating, and running them constantly is what there made for......so again your call.....

C

cmaxwell39

I just started up a hydor wavemaker with two controllable #3's in a 50 gallon. It seems like a very nice unit, very easy to set and adjust. The pumps are very quiet, and since the wavemaker only slows them down you don't have any noise when they are ramping back up.
It was pricey, but I am pleased with it so far.

C

cmaxwell39

It really depends on what you want to keep. Two Koralia 4's will give you between 11-12 times turnover in a 210. Keep in mind that you will add to that whatever flow you are getting from you return pump and whatever other powerheads that you have in the tank.
If that is the only flow for the tank, you may be a little light for anything, but you do not have to go extreme on flow for most things. My tank is going to be an sps dominated tank and my target turnover is 40-50x per hour. For softies, LPS or a fowler somewhere between 10-20x turnover is pretty standard.

markandkri

i would add 2 more if you can afford it i had a 220 for 2 years and ran tunzes 6100s which is 3200 gph a peice.
i currently have my k2s in my 50 gallon on a 15 minute timer .

tru2037

a wavemaker was the best thing I put in my tank. weather its a reef or not I think its healthy for the fish.
Major downfall though - when the pumps are cycled constantly, they are noisy. Loud snaps, which are fine but my tank is in my small living room, so they seem very loud.

C

cmaxwell39

Originally Posted by tru2037
http:///forum/post/2813830
a wavemaker was the best thing I put in my tank. weather its a reef or not I think its healthy for the fish.
Major downfall though - when the pumps are cycled constantly, they are noisy. Loud snaps, which are fine but my tank is in my small living room, so they seem very loud.
The new Hydor wavemaker uses a controllable pump and does not shut them all the way down. You pick a minimum and maximum speed for the pumps to run and it cycles in between those two. I think the lowest speed you can set for your minimum is like 30% of full speed. With this system they are completely quiet. No more noise on start-up.