Kraylen's 55g Sumpless SPS/LPS Wonder!(with timeline)

kraylen

Specs:
55 Gallon AGA Cheap ***** Tank
TEK T5 6x54w Fixture
Remora Skimmer w/MJ1200 and overflow box
Aquaclear 110 HOB filter modded into refugium with cheato and mangrove.
Misc Koralia powerheads and what not.
Had a lot of fish this entire year... now I have cheap stuff so I don't cry when they die..
2 mater pairs of clowns(PSK/OC)
Lawnmower
Lantern Basslet
Target Dragonette
2 Chromis
Harlequin Shrimp
Scarlet Cleaner
Used to have a bunch or wrasse/hog/hawk/pseudo in the tank, but I love my open top :)
Here is a FTS progression....
So it starts.... Jan 12th 2009.....

Added more rock in a week later....

Then I added even MORE live rock....

Rocks are like transformers... or legos....

See..

and then...

April 2nd...

May 18th...

May 30th...

kraylen

Aug 3rd...

Aug 30th...

Nov 24th

I gotta get a new one.
It went from a mushroom/zoa tank into a SPS/LPS reef over this year. I want to upgrade so bad but I still have a lot of time left with this ol' cheap HOB reef.
I'm just glad all the crap corals are gone now :)
i'll add some more pics of stuff I've had and have.

the_bandit

Awesome transformation. I love seeing the changes. I also have a 55g reef with an Aqua C HOB and a HOB filter. Id love to change it to a HOB fuge but I think Im just going to wait till I upgrade and get a full blown sump/refugium.

kraylen

Correct, Serranus baldwini
When I ordered the basslet 6 months ago I was off when he arrived, my buddy put it into our CUC tank with the cleaner shrimp and low and behold... 8 cleaner shrimp gone! The basslet has been fine in my tank so far. I haven't lost an invert.

mikersof

Awecome job! It can be done with HOB skimmer and filter. My 80 and 55 are both setup like yours with Aqua-C skimmers and Emperior 400 filter.
Best wishes!
james =)

oneradtek

yea isnt it amazing how u go from one idea, thats pretty much simple and rather boring, and it somehow manages to make itself into an amazing tank? i have the same story. never planned on going reef at all in the first place, and now i have a crazy sps system

kraylen

Yeah I agree.
I used to have a PC fixture so I didnt plan on keeping anything cool until I got a HM or T5 upgrade.
The new light came and it was all history after that.
Thanks for checking it out :)

mastertech

once you start spending some money on that tank i will become a sweet deal. but until then......
J/J that is a nice collection of pics and coral. good eye candy. thanks.