KTS's 14G start

Ok so I am starting a 14 gallon on monday! I have a 75 gallon that has been running well for some time now.. just looking to make sure I got everything I need so that I can start it cycling.
this is what I have or have comming
-14 G biocube by Ocienic
-50 W heater
-250 GPH power head
-20 LB of Premium live rock Thanks to SWF.com
-20 LB of Live sand from my 75G DT
-I have salt mix
-I have RO
what am I forgetting? and any advice or tips?

lando101

Excellant!! I would also recomend the biocube skimmer, works great, and is only 35 dollars, air pump included!! What do you plan on putting in you aquarium? Cant wait!!

well i am going to take pictures as I set up and cycle the tank... not really sure what I am going to do yet but, so far I was thinking of LR and maybe 2 black/white false clown fish... Eventually some coral.
added to list 35$ skimmer
-14 G biocube by Ocienic
-50 W heater
-250 GPH power head
-I have salt mix
-I have RO
----Nano Skimmer

lando101

Good! You may also want to get test kits for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, alk, and ph, I like red seas test kits, 40 dollars here! Also a thermometer and a hydrometer, 15 dollars, or if you want more accuracy, a refractometer, at least 50 dallars, I think? Hope this helps!!

oh yeah i am a goof I forgot I ordered a thermometer already, and I have a hydrometer from my big tank so i am good there... ill put those on the list so I know I have them... I also have test kits for my big tank so good there too! thanks for the help.. anything else?
-14 G biocube by Ocienic
-50 W heater
-250 GPH power head
-I have salt mix
-I have RO
----Nano Skimmer
----test kits
----hydrometer
----thermometer

Originally Posted by Sooner_Reefer
http:///forum/post/2679928
I highly recommend a refractometer. A hydormeter is no where as close and accurate as a refractometer.
I will invest in one of these soon enough, i have been lazy haha. I really need to get one...

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2679958
lol finish tat. One day ill man up and get me one!
yeah I need to stop getting tattooes soon haha. I have three lined up one ever 15 days, well its all one tattoo just many many sessions...
ill have pictures up of the first stuff on the 11th :)
oh yeah
whats the best digital TEMP?
I have two coralife temps what you think?

well I got this box of dead coral from my mothers friend and I dont like any of it so I am going to break it up and use it as my filter media instead of the bioballs!!!!
you can see my hammer in the box
the only cool piece is that dead leather on the bottom right

nano reefer

Originally Posted by Lando101
http:///forum/post/2679902
Excellant!! I would also recomend the biocube skimmer, works great, and is only 35 dollars, air pump included!! What do you plan on putting in you aquarium? Cant wait!!

skimmer is unnecessary
dont get the skimmer! they are completely unnessary in a nano. you are better off setting up a fuge in the middle compartment. i know the skimmer is only 35, but it is not as effective as other skimmers, and if you really needed one you should get a better one.
also, in the 3rd chamber where the return pump is, there will be a 90 degree elbow on the bulkhead. get some tubing and make it long enough so you can attatch it without the 90 degree elbow. this will increase water flow and lifespan of the pump.
i think the 250 gph pump is aftermarket right? you will want to have increased flow from chamber 1 to chamber 2. when i had my mj1200, water would flow over the wall. so get a dremmel drill or wire cutters and make the opening between the chambers .5 inch deeper, or until water level in the tank gets below the top of the slots where water flows in.
get a 100w heater, unless you live where its warm all year round.
remove the blue sponge in the bottom of chamber 3.
IMO, LR in the middle compartment is not effective and is over-rated. i wold set up a fuge there.

OK so the tank is up and running...
but the light fixture is broken!!!! so ordering a new one I am tonight!
pictures tomorrow
no live rock yet, it gets here on thursday.
ultra premium live rock from SWF.com

Well the tank has been up for 1 day shy of two weeks! and is cycled and healthy!!!
I chose
Black live sand
2 Black and White clowns - mated pair