L. Rock and sponges.

killa

1. Will normal base rock turn into live rock?
2. What are the light requirements for sponges, high, medium or low?

keisersosei

Originally posted by Killa
1. Will normal base rock turn into live rock?
2. What are the light requirements for sponges, high, medium or low?

1. Yes.
2. Low.

saltyrich

I'll answer the first question. Yes and no. Base rock will be colonized in time with good bacteria that benefits the reef tank. Will it become live like Fiji? No. Fiji and other lr is very porous and much of it contains a "dead spot" in it. This dead spot is an anerobic (or is it aerobic) pocket. It's the reason lr really smells when its uncured and you pull it out of the box after shipping. There are a variety of things that create true lr like Fiji premium etc. Base rock cannot achieve this status, but can become benificial to your system in time. If you are wondering whether or not you want to use base rock, then cover it with lr to seed it over time, I would not. The reason is that base rock is very dense and weighs more than the same size piece of true lr. I can get base rock for $1.99 per pound and lr for $5 per pound. A typical 4 lb piece of base rock ($8) is about the same size as a 2 lb piece of lr ($10). These are all generalizations, but you get the idea. For a little more money you can get the better stuff, accomplishing more than you intended by covering base rock with lr. Hope this all makes sense. By the way; it's all just my opinion after spending hundreds and hundreds, and hundreds of dollars (won't really say how much!).

wxv102

I am not sure about all the information that saltyrich spoke about. I can only tell of my experiences. As a geeky engineer I am always trying things. After alot of reading I determined to convert a fish only tank to reef. I moved my non-reef safe fish to another tank and then began the process. I had some base rock and then added a lot of tulfa/lava rock. After dealling with the week of rearranging the tank to get it they way I liked it, I added some GOOD cured live rock from a LFS to seed the tank. It has been about 6 months and non-live rock is full of life incuding, feather dusters, q-tip sponges, and all the good bugs and the like.
I think the most important reef issue is water quality and don't add to much junk to the water without monitoring closely. Being a slave to you tank is good, but being a scientist with out the proper knowledge is not a good thing.
If you plan to seed your tank with live rock make sure you pick rock with alot of life on it. All live rock is just a pourous low density home to many creatures and micro-organisms. The life will populate everything incuding your sand bed. **** I also placed a copper absorbant material in my sump incase the tulfa,/lava had heavy metals in it (Precaution Only).
I think the most important tradoff to realize is time. There is nothing faster than adding all live rock. As long as you have a few hundred dollars to spend.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Bill

saltyrich

In addition, I'd like to be little clearer. Base rock,TYPICALLY, is very dense. Because it is dense, it does not have the same surface area capabilities as does very porous live rock. It will not develop the benificial dead pocket I mentioned. It can't take on the same characteristics and benifits as does real lr because it is a completely different type of rock. Yes, it can be colonized by good bacteria. But anyone that knows should agree that real lr is always preferred.

saltyrich

Good point! Most volcanic rock is porous, but not as porous as lr. The volcanic stuff is preferred over the dense base rock for obvious reasons. I think thast it should be clear that true lr is more than just a home for critters. Growth on base rock etc. is a great thing, however that type of rock does not have the filtration properties as does the lr. That makes the difference. The key is that if you can do it cheaper with some base rock and some lr, go for it. As I mentioned, because of the density and weight, I can get lr for just a little more than base rock of the same weight. It may not be the case for many out there. Just my observations.

wxv102

I agree with saltyrich that live rock is prefered. His insight is warranted. I purchase my tulfa rock in large slabs from a landcaping company for $15 each slab. It was very cheap.
The "dead pocket" is suspected to fuel the rapid growth of beneficial bacteria. The problem is that you ony produce enough benefical bacteria as is need by your bio-load. This dead pocket is much debated by scientists as we speak.
Do youh homework but most of all injoy the hobbie/addiction.
Bill

saltyrich

Everyone pay attention. Bill is on to something. If you choose to do base rock, check out landscaping companies for good pieces cheap. Base rock and volcanic stuff where I live is not very reasonable. THIS is GOOD info. Thanks for sharing.

killa

The reason I ask about the rock is that I have a piece of Limestone in my tank which I have sculpted my self. After reading some info on the net I got the idea, and was just getting your opinions. It has been in there for about a year and was wondering if there is any biological benefit if I put it into another tank I am setting up. Thanks for the detailed explanations.