Lace Rock?

daveb

I went into a new LFS while on a trip out of town yesterday and they were selling Lace Rock for 1.29 a lbs... There were some very beautiful pieces of rock that I could see very clearly would look great in my tank.. several flat pieces that would make some great tables and overhangs.
My question is this... Is there anything I should do to test this rock in some way, or do some type of "curing" of it before adding it to my tank? I realize it will not be "live rock" for quite a while, but I certainly do not want to do any harm to my tank by adding it...
Even though this was being sold in an LFS, my experience with LFS is not exactly conducive to trust, so I am hoping for some guidence here by those I have learned do not mislead just to make a sale...
Thanks, Dave

nm reef

Hey retired golfer from Utah...lace rock...or base rock can be a very effective way to build up nice arrangements...and for the most part its safe. In time it will fill out and look the same as normal LR...just takes some time. The only thing I'd insure is that its clean and not contaminated...maybe even pre-cure it for a while in water thats been removed from the display during water changes.....:thinking: