Lacrosse Anyone?

halo_frk03

hey
i was just wondering if anyone out ther plays lacrosse... im thinking about getting into it and was wondering what a good but reasonably priced stick would be for a beginner?
thanks
Halo

jacklax

Yeap...I played at Florida State...I played for Atlanta...and I've coached. Love the game!
I've been using the STX Proton for the past 6 or 7 years. Good all around stick...taken tons of face-offs with it.

sufunk

I had heard of it but had no idea what it was til i went to Syracuse Univ.. Its pretty much mandatory that you play if you go to school there
Its pretty cool, as long as your dishing out the punishment
Get ready to enjoy hurting hands. Youll never forget the 1st time you take a full force shot with that ball off your knee!

jacklax

Yeah...getting hit with a shot is a blast! The bruise normally turns white in the middle...before changing to bluple...that's a cross between black & purple.
The most painful part has got to be getting hit in the shins though...my shins are nothing but scar tissue.
It's a blast though...and I really miss playing. Tore my groin muscle almost 2 years ago in a game...have played sporadically since.

sufunk

Pretty much, if you havent played you think its gay or retarded. Once you play it, you think its awesome. kinda like hockey for those of us who cant skate.

ctgretzky9

lax is awesome. I played in HS, and at southampton college, LI. It is super popular on Long island.
A lot of the ice hockey players did it as the playmaking is similar, and it keeps you in good shape.
I dont know what new sticks are out, I still have an stx and a brine from 15 years ago! lol
they both still work fine for throwing around.

jacklax

ct...Do you know Jeff Rant, Joel Peck, Coutney Wilson, Peter Varone? They are all guys I've known from the island.
Also...regarding the equipment these days...things have changed a lot! Sticks are all bent and off-set...titanium poles...the old helmets are gone...

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by Jacklax
ct...Do you know Jeff Rant, Joel Peck, Coutney Wilson, Peter Varone? They are all guys I've known from the island.
Also...regarding the equipment these days...things have changed a lot! Sticks are all bent and off-set...titanium poles...the old helmets are gone...

Sorry, none of them are familiar. I left the island after college, about 15 yrs ago.
Im sure it has all changed, i still wear my brine elbow pads when I play ice hockey still though, love them! I also do have my helmet from back then, shoulder pads, some balls, and a net without a frame. I keep meaning to build a frame.
The helmet...its a wonder i never got a head injury! I look at it now, and I am like wow, where is the padding?
I played attack...what do you play?

jacklax

Never hurts to check...it's a small world.
Those brine arm pads are classics! I've gone through numerous pairs...hating it when they fell apart. Unfortunately can't find the old ones anymore. The new helmets are great...much cooler (better ventalation), better vision, and you can actually hear!
I've played most everything...attack and middie in college...moved to Atl and became a face-off middie...typically 1st or 2nd line...but wanted to move to long pole middie...tired of running so much. When I tore my leg things changed...the few times I've played it's been at longpole...much easier on the body.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by Jacklax
Never hurts to check...it's a small world.
Those brine arm pads are classics! I've gone through numerous pairs...hating it when they fell apart. Unfortunately can't find the old ones anymore. The new helmets are great...much cooler (better ventalation), better vision, and you can actually hear!
I've played most everything...attack and middie in college...moved to Atl and became a face-off middie...typically 1st or 2nd line...but wanted to move to long pole middie...tired of running so much. When I tore my leg things changed...the few times I've played it's been at longpole...much easier on the body.

Yes, it is a small world...on another reefing bulletin board, I met someone who went to my college.
I had a couple of pairs of the brines. I always hated hockey elbow pads, but loved the brines, so I still use them to this day. Fortunately, the last pair I have are still in decent condition.
I just played attack. It was a blast, but my heart lies in ice hockey lol. The seasons overlapped a bit (practices etc) so hockey took priority, but a lot of players did that as lacrosse was basically hockey in the air in most respects. Was excellent for conditioning, staying in "hitting" mode, and being able to focus to keep your head up or get slammed.
Cool game. No one around up where I am really plays it. So I have just pickedthe stick up every once in a while just to practice some shooting and stickhandling:-(