Lagoon experiment.

murph

This certainly cant be an original idea so I thought I would run it through the forum here to get some opinions.
My aching back permitting I will be putting my lagoon together today. 48x30x18. Now for the experimental part and potential problems.
I am going to place the lagoon directly under a window that faces south. I am hoping this natural light will supplement planned PC lighting. Window is in an alcove so direct sunlight will never be a problem. Benefit will be a natural dawn dusk effect and of course the problem could be run away algae growth.
I live in south Florida so I am going to go down to the pass and collect some live sand. I have put LS like this in small tanks before just to see whats in it and its full of worms, coquina shell fish, pods, sand skaters and god knows what else. The benefit here is a substantial savings and short if any cycle. The potential problem is the "god knows what else" factor. I may even use some wild rock if I can find a suitable piece but this is not likely.
Mangroves. I have never used these in the hobby before but have plenty of access to them. I am not sure how deep a sand bed they will need or even if I want a sand bed this depth but am toying with the idea of planting them down one side of the lagoon. I have a feeling they may do quite well considering the natural light source from the window.
After this some base rock and a few damsels and sit back and see what happens. This is strictly a spare time thing so if it all goes wrong I will just tare it down and move it if necessary and set it back up in a traditional reef tank manner.
Eventually everything in my 75 gal reef system will have to be moved to this lagoon so I can do renovation to the house. This could be the expensive part if thinking the lagoon experiment had gone just fine but after adding coral and fish from my reef tank I find that there are problems with the setup in general.

krazekajin

sounds like it will work good. However, isn't illegal to take any type of rock out of the ocean. I had heard that even if it is a chunk of concrete, if it is in the FL oceans then you can not remove it?

murph

Actually its illegal to even take the sand. In fact anything found beyond mean high tide belongs to the state so even items found metal detecting in this zone technically belongs to the state of Florida.
On the other hand I have been assured off the record by some friends at FCW that these laws are designed to prevent any commercial harvesting of these items on a large scale and a occasional bucket of sand or finding drunk old Harvey's wedding band with a metal detector is not an enforcement priority and will go ignored.
According to the letter of the law they could ticket and fine half a dozen old farts with metal detectors every morning. :joy: I am sure they lack the necessary treasure hunting permits.

hawk fish

1 of my friends went down to miami and brought back on the plane 96 lbs of LR..no one stopped him..(thats what his suitcase weighed so about 80 lbs of LR)...is it really illigal..imgoing down there in like 2 weeks and though i could take some for my tank as well...if it was really illigal then wouldnt they stop all the little kids from collecting rocks??little confused and scard at the same time

murph

Odds are you wont find any thing in the way of rock you will want to put in your tank along the shore line. Going out in a boat and collecting rock will be risky as you are far more likely to be checked by FCW and they will definitely frown on this type of activity.
Finding hard bottom is not necessarily that easy even when several miles off shore. You could end up diving on someones rock farm in which case getting stopped by the FCW would be much more preferable than being confronted by some of the locals who keep an eye on these type areas.
Taking a few buckets of sand inshore should be no problem. Try to find a pass between intercoastal waterway and gulf/ocean. These passes get literally millions of gallons of water flushed through them per hour so despite being inshore so to speak should provide some decent quality sand and no one is going to care one way or the other.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by The J.O.P.
forget the FCW!!!!! they can't stop you. LOL we'll see you on that cops like show for DNR.

wangotango

Originally Posted by Cherish life.
it is illegal to take mangroves or even grow them!!!! dont do it....!!!
:scared:
illegal to take, but a lot of people use them, and im sure that if they were illegal they would not be sold.
-Justin

murph

You are correct justin. It is not illegal to grow mangroves in your system or to collect mangrove pods/seeds. They float about in the millions in the inter coastal water ways of south west Florida and are commercially available on line.
What is illegal is to cut down standing mangroves to install boat docking buildings etc. You can however apply for a permit to cut down standing mangroves that may be a hundred years old or more, on property that you plan to increase the value of property tax on and the state of Florida will most likely have no problem with it.
In other words; increase the accessible tax value on that land and you are then free to get the chain saw out and cut down as many as you want.

If you guys are really interested in whats going on in my neck of the woods as far as sensible conservation efforts are concerned you can take a look at this web site.
http://capmel.com/
Has nothing to do with aquariums or sales so I believe the link will be allowed.
I did not mean for the thread to go in this direction but that's fine also.
If anyone has opinions as to what I have planed for the lagoon as far as the hobby goes they are still welcome.
edit... You can stream cap mels radio show by googleing 970 wfla and hitting the listen online; on sat mornings from six to ten est.

scuba-raru

Hey Murph, I live in Miami and had the same idea, I'm thinking about doing this as an outdoor project, possibly in a large rubbermaid type tub or acrylic tank if $$ permits, any progress on this project? Did you hook up some kind of filtration system to it?