Large Angel Fish Compatibility

sprieto

I read that large angels are not compatibale with other large angles.
Is this true? Do to size in and of tank or aggresiveness.
As anyone kept large angles together before.
In paticular, I was thing a Emporer and a Queen in a 180gallon tank.
Any opinions?

J

jdragunas

well, i personally haven't any experience with this, but i always believed that angels should be kept one per tank. I looked online at a compatibility chart, and it said that large angels are able to be kept with other large angels, but with caution.
Some info on the queen angel:
With the potential of reaching an impressive 18 inches, the Queen Angelfish needs a large tank — at a minimum of 150 gallons, with lots of hiding places and live rock for grazing. Not a good reef dweller, the Queen Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles. It can be aggressive, so it must be introduced to the community tank last. A somewhat difficult angelfish to keep, Queen Angelfish often suffer from incorrect water parameters and diet.
Some info on the Emporer angel (aka the imperator angel):
The Emperor Anglefish requires a 100 gallon or larger tank with live rock for grazing and hiding. It will nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles, but may be kept with small-polyped stony corals and somewhat noxious soft corals.
Sounds like the queen may be difficult to keep. Since she requires a 150 gallon, having a 180 is ok for her, but i personally wouldn't combine the two... Maybe if you had a bigger tank, like a 280, it might be a little more plausible, because the queen will have her 150, and the emporer will have his 100, and there will be a little room to spare.
You also might want to try posting this in the agressive forum... You may get a better response...

angelsrock

usually you can mix them if they are different genus's which the emperor and queen both are. it wouldn't hurt to add them at the same time as well. i have a queen and you will be happy with those guys. i have a friend that has a bunch of angels actually in a tank without problems so i think you'll be ok.

J

jdragunas

i think it all depends on the individuals themselves... if you decide to add them both, follow angelsrock's advice and add them both at the same time... that way they can both establish a territory at the same time. Make sure you keep an eye out for any aggression, or signs of abuse.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by sprieto
I read that large angels are not compatibale with other large angles.
Is this true? Do to size in and of tank or aggresiveness.
As anyone kept large angles together before.
In paticular, I was thing a Emporer and a Queen in a 180gallon tank.
Any opinions?
IMO..the system is not big enough to house two adult angels. In this hobby, you should always pursue the avenue that increases odds for success. Mixing two large angels in a 180 will decrease odds for success. This does not mean that they will fight, etc........just odds are they will. Some will state they have done so with success.....but the odds are agianst you Also, for how long were they successful...years, months weeks or days? How big were the two angels....adults or juveniles? All factors and often not included in responses.
IMO a 180 is not big enough for an adult size Queen.