Larry's DIY canopy w/ pics!!!

J

jrthomas40

alright so here is the story i had to make another canopy cuz the one i have now is not tall enough and i have to take it off every time that i have to do the water change move something feed something, get something dead out...blah blah you know the deal so i went out and got some wood and built it from scratch on how i wanted it to look and function any how check out my pics and give me your thoughts/commets

J

jrthomas40

its not quite done yet still have to stain it and put the hinge on but the top will flip over and rest on the other side....this is a pic of the other canopy

J

jrthomas40

to me it looks kind of odd cuz it is so big but the trade off makes it all better...especially since it is the first one i have ever built

J

jrthomas40

well i didnt plan on it being that huge but 15" was all they had and my HQI lights are 10.5 inches above the water...it was my first probably should have had the guy cut that 15in piece down to 12in and my lights would have been probably about 8in off the water

petem

Looks Nice! I was wondering as to your MH lights. Are they completely encased by the canopy? Or are they Suspended from the ceiling? And, can this be done for a bow front tank?

J

jrthomas40

my lights are in the canopy...right now they are probably 5 or 6 inches off the water and they will be inside the new canopy as well...i left the back out for better ventilation
i am not sure how it can be done for a bowfront but i always think where theres a will theres a way :thinking:

J

jrthomas40

what is even better about the whole thing is it cost me less than $100 :)

kevin34

Can you post some pics of how the lights are setup inside the canopy? Also where are you planning to get into the tank? With doors in the front or with a lifting top?

J

jrthomas40

hey folks....sorry for the long absence but i have stained it and put the lights in it tonight..so follwing will be some updated pics

J

jrthomas40

yeah i know one of the fans is smaller than the other my LFS is suppose to be getting me another larger one so hopefully it will work out till then

im not a great wood worker or anything but hey its my first DIY canopy...anybody got any ideas how to fix it??

J

jrthomas40

just a little bump since there were people asking questions

ludnix

Just from the pictures I assume the bigger fan is a 12cm fan. You can most likely buy one at a computer accessory store (Even staples) and then wire it in place of the smaller 8cm fan. Most of these fans are running on 12v and the only difference between using them for your fish tank and for a computer is the fish tank needs a transformer to lower the 110v current to 12v.

T

tmy880

Originally Posted by jrthomas40

yeah i know one of the fans is smaller than the other my LFS is suppose to be getting me another larger one so hopefully it will work out till then

im not a great wood worker or anything but hey its my first DIY canopy...anybody got any ideas how to fix it??
Use pocket screws. By a KREG Rocket Jig (20 bucks) and use a drill and pocket screws. SHould hold way better than glue and a butt joint.
Enjoy