Last several fish died

janastasio

Good evening! Howdy, Bon nui!.... Ok, onto to the point. We had a power outage a 10 days prior to x-mas. Lost all three fish in the tank. We had a generator, but it did not work properly our first night and house dropped to 40. So I lost a large sebae clown (had him for 2 years), a figi puffer (had for 4 months) and a lawn mower blenny (had for 2 months). I found all the bodies and disposed of them. Clean up crew (hermits, snails and CBS and 2 serpent stars all survived the ordeal. Did lose a very large umbrella leather and toad stool lost its long stem. All in all, suppose it could have been worse. I did water changes twice weekly for 2 weeks and then once a week up until now. Tank is a 75 gallon.
PH-8.2 varies slightly depending on time of day
Temp 78-80
Nitrates 5
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
SG-1.025
Never saw a spike in the tank after the ordeal to lead me to think a cyce was happening. In the last week and a half I added a black and white clown, a coral beauty angel, and moved a false perc from the 19 gallon he amazing survived in and into the 75. Coral beauty died in 3 days. No sign of disease, but seemed very stressed, always hiding and did not get it to eat. Black clown ate very well, seemed great and then day before it died, I noticed it looked very thin. I fed it, he ate, but was dead the next morning. I cleaned my tank this last Friday, did a 10% water change and rearranged my rock work. Clown fish disappeared by the next morning, and I have yet to find a body. I drip acclimate 2+ hours. I feed a combination of frozen food, nori sheets, and formula one flakes alternating a couple of days. I do have 2 new power heads (Koralia 3's I think). My old fish didnt have any problems with the currents, but the clown fish seemed to struggle a bit in there. Could they have been worn out from the current, is it possible that the prev. fish that died could have put any toxicities into the water?? I'm baffled, just bad luck??? I would like to get some fish for my tank, but dont know if something is in there that is bad for the fish. Inverts are all fine. Fish that die show no external indications of disease. Thanks. -Jaime

janastasio

Bump...Any ideas? Biggest concern is if puffer and blenny could have realeased sometihing toxic while they were dying or dead, and if they did what to do next. Thanks!

kas2247

Wow, that really sucks.
Your normal params seem great. I'm not sure about toxins from the fish. But have you checked the tank for any stray voltage? Maybe from one of the pumps or powerheads? I don't know if maybe something could have gotten fried and maybe isn't working right, even if you think it is. I really don't know, just a shot in the dark... but may be worth looking into.

janastasio

Thanks for the response, it is baffling. I feel like this is what happens whenever I end up having to replace fish (this is only the second major time, but feels alot worse!) I rechecked water params tonight, got my new test kits. Trace of ammonia today, prob from the missing clown in there. I have water mixing for a 10gallon water change tomorrow. Hopefully its all just bad luck....
Expensive badluck....

kas2247

I can't even imagine! I know I spend so much time & energy budgeting & trying to figure out how much I can afford to add, it is really disappointing when one fish dies, let alone the whole tank crashes. Hopefully you can find the problem. That must be really stressful!

janastasio

Time will tell. I will be adding in a large rock with multiple bubbletip anenomes and two clown fish a week and a half. I'm hoping they do ok. In the mean time I will keep changing out the water to the ammonia. Wish I could see his body. Hate when they die in areas you cannot get to! Its just an extra dig!!