lava rock?

foshizle

hey all
my dad brought a piece of lave rock home from the grand canyon and i want to know it would be safe to put in my tank thnx
patrick

pohtr

well, I guess since no one answered your question then maybe no one knew the answer (I didn't). So that means you get to be the tester! Somewhere on this forum I read that rock from volcanos has some metal or something in it, I hope not, and I hope yours does o.k.

blemmy_guy

seems like i read that too, about the heavy metals, but you never know, you might get lucky and if so it will look really cool. i would love some in my tank too, just scared to try it!!:nervous:
goodluck
todd

foshizle

thnx guys i put it in and my cleaner jumped on it and right now my hermets are on it and it looks great.,
patrick

pontius

there are two kinds of lava rock. there is one that is "called" lava rock, which is found in about every aquarium store, and is safe for any aquarium. then there is rock that is actually formed from lava, which is not safe for aquarium life.

pontius

didn't you just recently put it in? wait until Friday, test the ph, then tell me how great it is.

pontius

it is not going to instantly kill everything in the tank like a bomb going off. but if it is truly made of lava, it is very likely to cause a ph plunge, which will kill most or everything. your best bet is to take it out and do a water change.

foshizle

well i took it out and i didnt do a water change but i guess i will do that now thnx for the help sometimes im kinda stubborn srry bout that
thnx
patrick:)