Lava Rock??

ktsdad

Has anyone ever used decorative lava rock in a reef tank?
I am planning out an upgrade to a 225 gallon from my current 60 and 95 (both with real live rock). I was thinking about getting some lava rock from a local place and then putting it in a tub with some of the real stuff and letting is sit for a few months to seed.
Has anyone tried this?
Will lava rock take the "seed"?
We are also making some DIY LR, so curing is not a problem
Anyone who can share an experience would be helpful!

thegrog

I would say no. Much lava rock will leach minerals into the water that you don't want. I would go with a Tufa instead.

beaver

I have a few Big chunks of "Lava" rock in my 29. They started as base but I would say now are liveing, and coverd with corline. I havent had any problems with leaching anything bad into the tank. That being said my Calcium is always on the high side.. Could be from the rock I dont know. Also whos to say all rocks are the same? I have a freind with a 100 gal that used mostly all lava rock to start out and just a few chunks of live. Now his reef looks great over 2 years later... Up to you though. I wouldnt go with lava from the land scapeing place or anything. All the lava I have is from a LFS, same place my buddy got his. 99cents a pound.

ktsdad

Thanks for the insight.
Guess I am not sure what the difference between the rock at a landscaping supply place and a LFS? :notsure: :notsure:
I am planning on using a combination of different kinds of rock and thought a few pieces of lava would look nice.
Since I plan on curing my DIYLR for 6 weeks or so, figured I could throw the lava in the curing bucket at the same time and wash out any unwanted stuff it may be hiding.
Thanks agian.