Lava sand

aarone

My dad recently purchased a bag of lava sand. He is using it to plant trees but i was wondering if it could be use in the Aquarium. All it is is crushed igneous rock and it has a very pretty red color to it

aarone

The sand has a coarse texture to it. has anyone ever used this or seen a tank with this product in it?

broomer5

I would not use it in my tank.
Lava rock, and for that matter sand made from lava "could" contain some nasty chemicals.
"could"
aragonite !!:p

aarone

isnt lava the basis of the ocean? i mean didnt the whole world come from a volcano? so i figured this wouldnt hurt anything in the tank considering it is crushed up igneous rock.

fishtails

I think he means,like if you ever saw a volcano on t.v.,it usually flows into the ocean forming a "substrate".....That's what I'm guessing...:confused:

broomer5

The floor of the ocean and the vast amounts of saltwater can not be compared to our little glass containers called aquariums.
You can find similarities - but not many.
Do some reading online - I'm sure you will come to the conclusion that lava rock or lava sand is NOT a good substrate to use in a marine fish tank.

ponzspyder

That’s news to me. I always thought lava rock, and therefore lava sand, were completely insoluble and inert.