lawnmover blenny

W

wildmike

I am think about getting one. What do they eat?? I have a small yellow tang a pair of false percs and peppermint and cleaner shrimp in a 55. Are these guys got to have or not??? Do they pick at corals? Give me all the info!!! I want ot make a good des. on this. :)
Thanks
Mike
:D

frankl15207

Mine doesn't cause any problems with any of the fish (yellow tang, 3 true percs, royal gramma, copperband butterfly and foxface rabbit). They are algae eaters and will pick it off of the rocks and the glass. Mine has also taken a liking to Formula II flakes. There is nori in the tank at all times for the tang, but it doesn't seem to pick at it, although it does like to perch on the lettuce clips.
My LFS expressed a concern with it trashing my xenia, but it really hasn't bothered with them. No problem with any of the other corals, polyps or mushrooms.

holacanthus

They usually eat algae initally but start to take other foods as they get settled into the aquarium. Mine clean they glass and rocks of algae and then dart out at feeding time to grab a couple of peices of whaever it is i'm feeding. The can be aggressive towards other herbivores and some omnivores, like angelfish, pick on them but it usually dosen't cause any problems.

I just got one, and it eats the algae off of the glass sometimes, never see it eating from the sand, but my algae problem has gotten a lot better in the few days I have had him... He usally sits on my LR and looks around, or hides under it alot. In the 3 days that I have had him, I have not seen that much of him at all.

slothy

ot: does anyone know what all the little tenicles/arms whatever on there head and face do ?

fireeater

I have an Algae Eating Blenny, Is it ok to add a Lawnmower Blenny with it?
This guy is so great to watch, he looks at me, then chomps on algae, looks at me, chomps some more, looks at me and them goes and hide. They are funny!

flobskey

I'm thinking about getting one also, should I? I may be overstalking though. What do you think? I have a 29 gal. 2 clowns, 2 hifin cardanals, 1 blue damsel, 4 blue leg hermits. About how much are they at you LPS? I think mine is a ripoff.

ekclark

As far as I know, an algae eating blenny and a lawn mower blennie are the same fish...in which case I would not pair them.

cortezz98@aol.c

YES A LAWNMOWER BLENNY IS A GREAT ADDITION THEY EAT HAIR ALGEA THAT GROWS ON YOUR LIVE ROCK AND DO A GREAT JOB OF IT BUT IF I WERE GOING TO GET A BLENNY IT WOULD BE A BI-COLOR BLENNY THEY DO THE SAME THIN AS THE LAWN BUT ARE MORE COLORFULL AND COOLER TO WATCH.