Lawnmower Blenny & Hair Algae

Hello, I have a 125 gallon tank...and have a bit of hair algae...I have one lawnmower blenny who eats the stuff...But he can't quite keep up with it. What other blennies eat hair algae and get a long with a lawnmower blenny?

jaymz

In a tank that size you can keep another lawnmower if you want. Or if you are looking for some different color with a different blenny a red lip or bi color blenny will eat the hair algae just the same.

keith burn

IMO
Let it stay the only one if you have two thay will fight for the same food.
You may try a small sea hare...

michaeltx

do you have a phosphate test kit.
I would check the tank water and your source water for phosphates.
also most things will not eat algae that is long youll have to pull out as much as possible if you want them to attack it.
Mike

E

emeralcrab

If you aren't maxed out on fish now, a fox face loves hair algae. My blennies never eat hair algae......

schnutzzy

Your lucky. My lawnmower blenny won't touch hair algae. I just stopped over feeding and cut down my lighting schedule and pretty quickly it went away. I also stopped buying my RO water from my LFS. TDS meter I have showed 75 from there. Now I get glacier at the machine in front of the grocery store and the TDS meter shows 0. Good luck it is a real pain getting rid of the stuff.

I don't have a phosban kit...bit i just bought a phosphate reactor about a month ago...I do pull the algae up and shorten it...I recently just bought a clean up crew of only snails...all different sorts. But my remaining hermits murdered most of them. I don't care for hermits. I have one emerald crab...Just not crazy about crabs. I might find room for a foxface with my next order...I'm just not sure.

usc932000

I'm having a prob with hair algae and am considering a Blenny. My trates and phosphate are 0 and have been that way for awhile. I just returned from Vacation without feeding the tank and lights were on a timer with the Actinic only and it looks like more has grown since I left a week ago, so I'm deciding what to do

nycbob

try getting a few scarlet hermits, they will eat hair algae. also, u will need to pull the hair algae out when doing water change, bc they can feed themselves even if ur phosphate level shows 0.