Lawnmower Blenny help?

carolinaboy

I got a lawnmower blenny yesterday and he didnt eat nothing. But has been nipping at all the rocks but it doesnt look like there is any real algae growth on the rocks or am i just not seeing it like he is. And is this a good sign that he is doing this. He is really active and gets along with all the other fish and he doesnt seem to be stressed out and isnt hiding. So how do i get him to eat prepaired food and algae sheets or does it just come with time? Thanks for all your help

angler man

Some LMB's will eat Algae sheets and some will not. Luck of the draw unfortunately.
I have had two, one would only graze on the rocks and the other would take Nori sheets.

carolinaboy

Originally Posted by Angler man
http:///forum/post/3202357
Some LMB's will eat Algae sheets and some will not. Luck of the draw unfortunately.
I have had two, one would only graze on the rocks and the other would take Nori sheets.
So with him pecking at the rocks mean he is getting any kind of food. He has been at the LFS for 3 weeks and they said that the fed him mysis and algae sheets but dont know if he ate because he would hide all the time (he was in a tank with a small yellow tang). But for him to be there for 3 weeks means he had to be eating to still be alive right?

btldreef

LMB's will graze on rocks. Him "head banging" the rocks is a good thing, he's eating. Although, if your rocks are not that established, he may not be eating enough.
My LMB wouldn't take algae sheets, but constantly picked at my LR and ate just about any type of fish food that I offered (mysis, brine, etc).
Keep an eye on him though, it's really easy for them to become malnourished and starve to death. A fat Lawnmower Blenny, is a happy blenny.

rosco1

My LMB also pick at the rocks all the time. Sometimes he'll come out during my regular fish feeding and pick from the bottom of the tank. These are the neatest looking fish arent' they. The lawnmoyers are one of my favorites.
Good Luck

solly

I was very concerned about mine at first also. If my experience is typical, it seems they need some time to adjust to their new environment. After awhile, mine started eating the brine shrimp and other frozen food I feed my other fish. Good luck!

dc2mlbsm

the lawnmower blenny is one of my fav fish...mine at first would just eat off the rocks but then over time it started eating whatever i fed my fish