layering lr

maxpain

How is the best way to go about putting lr ontop of other lr in a tank, i have tons that is curing, and when the time comes i got to put it into my tank, should i just lay each rock ontop of the each other until i get to the top or is there something i should use to stick the rock together, like a saltwater cement?

saltcreep

You really do not want to glue them all together as it will make it impossible to rearange later if and when you want to.
Just put them is so they are as stable as you can get them.

montidanae

lion, your rock is not realy to put in!!! it rises your PH, do you knwow hat that mean?!?! that your rock will raise your PH above 9, and that will kill your things in your tank! you NEED to cure it, you NEED to, otherwise your tank will die and you will creat a whole new thread asking why! so i recomend you cure it first, but fine, just add it and destroy the tank, i dont care anymore, you shouldnt even have a tank, youv only had the rock for 2 weeks, its not ready, test the PH with a FRESHWATER PH test kit, you will see.

baylisc

Lionfish12,
where did you get the base rock? It looks like its just regular rock from a rock quary. if this is the case what steps do you have to do to ensure it is properly clean for the tank.
thanks in advance

stuckinfla

Originally posted by lionfish12
example of adding base rock first.

Dont jump all over him, its an EXAMPLE........hes learning:yes:

montidanae

nononono he didnt added the rock already to his 40 before, he said and i quote, "( added 50 lbs of homemade rock on top and it wont fall. " hmmm.
lol
:D

lionfish12

This is just an EXAMPLE. The rock is being cured. The basrock is just normal neat baserock. I've got about 3 typed of baserock im going to us. ( curing the rock for 6 weeks)

lionfish12

1st- get a buckte of somekind to hold all the rock
2nd- after the rock is the bucket, fill it up with fw.
3rd- everyday emty out the bucket and replace with new FW. Do this for about 4-5 weeks for best results.
**this is for baserock and HOMEMADE LIVE ROCK**

montidanae

or you can get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with base rock you made drain your RO/di waste water into it so ti is constantly getting changes atlease 1ox and hour or so, the ro/di waste water is also cold, which helps.
plankton,laundry,ro/di rock room

montidanae

i also have 2 coolers full of rock, i chose the coolers because they have a drain on the bottom for easy changes, i have them in my dog's kennel, the water all moves to the drain to the middle, then to the sewer.

montidanae

nice base tabel, for larger tanks i would use this ones ass the base to put more rocks one, when placed on teh sand it has a shelf coming out of it.