Leaf Scorpion Fish

mamie

Floppy my leaf scorpiom fish just had a great meal on this Labor Day. His lunch was a 3-4" pepperment shrimp. Sure hope he doesn't explode or anything.

mamie

Well so far Floppy the leaf fish is doing ok. I hope he continues to do so. There is still a very little of the shrimp's antennie hanging out of Floopy's mouth.

v-lioness

They certainly can eat large meals......LOL After that meal it may shed.... I had one for quite awhile, it took me about a year to get it weaned over to frozen foods, great little fish to have. I lost it through a shed.
I had an angler eat a Radiata Lion Fish that was twice its size. Needless to say they both died. :)
kainrahl - Lions and anglers are predators of one another, it is always just a matter of time when combining these two. Whoever grows the fastest eats the most!
Kaye

mamie

What happens when the leaf fish sheds? I have never heard of that before..
Thanks,
Linda

v-lioness

They shed their skin, similar to a lionfish but more often. Mine would leave a clump on my rocks and I would just syphon it out. I searched to find more on this for you but it is hard to find anything, I did however find this at wetweb:
"Taenianotus triacanthus Lacepede 1802, the Leaf Scorpionfish. Indo-pan-Pacific. To four inches overall length. Usually found amongst reef rocks on a open setting, rocking like a falling leaf. Molts twice a month.
Feeds on small fishes, fry and crustaceans. Comes in browns, blacks, yellows, reds."
Kaye