Leak!

bayreefer

My 75 gallon tank seems to have sprung a leak

The water is coming out from the seam at the bottom where the plastic meets the glass. Do I have to take the whole thing down or can I fix this while its all set up? If I can fix it while its set up, how should I go about it?

flower

First make sure you have a leak. I replaced a 55g once and it turned out to be the overflow box got shoved up against the edge and the water followed the rim and dripped on the other side.
I am pretty sure everythng must be dry to fix a seam.

bayreefer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3249214

First make sure you have a leak. I replaced a 55g once and it turned out to be the overflow box got shoved up against the edge and the water followed the rim and dripped on the other side.
I am pretty sure everythng must be dry to fix a seam.
I thought that at first, but after checking everything out it is definitely coming from between the plastic and the glass. Im really not looking forward to having to take it all apart

flower

I would use 3 plastic tubs to keep fish, coral and rock seperate. In a temporary setup it is too easy for rock to crush your critters.
Put your sand in buckets (very heavy) keep it moist. Save as much water as you can in 5g jugs.
What I was told, I never did it so I am not sure how reliable the info is.....It takes 24 hrs I believe for silicone to dry...you must clean the old off first or it won't take. Silicone will not stick to silicone or plastic. It must be clean edge to clean edge.
Me: I replaced my tank with a new one.

bayreefer

Well, after thinking about, Im just going to go with a new one.
I was looking on CL and found a 100 gallon for $100, tank and stand. The only problem is that the center plastic brace going across the top is broken, is it not safe anymore? (maybe I should start a separate thread on this?)

al&burke

The tank with the broken brace, you could get a piece of glass cut about two or three inches wide by the depth of your tank (front to back) and silcone it across the top - I would just cut out the broken center brace, good luck.