Leaking 125. (horror story)

mr . salty

This has got to qualify for the worst day in a long time. I got up yesterday morning to find a leaking seam in my 125 gallon FOWLR. It had lost about 10 gallons into my rather expensive carpet. This leak was about three inches below the normal water line,and loosing water pretty quickly. So first thing I figured I would try was some aquarium silicone. They say it must be clean and dry to work,but at this point I had nothing to loose.So I put a big glob on my finger and pressed it into where the leak was on the inside of the tank.And to my surprise it actually worked. Spent the rest of my "get reafy for work time" mixing up water,and towling off the carpet. About 10 minutes before I left for work I added the newly mixed water and crossed my fingers. When I got home after work I noticed that the leak that I had fixed earlier was still sealed.The silicone had actually dried and sealed under water. Bad news is that a new leak had started about two inches under the first one. There is now another 15gallons of water in my carpet.And the sump had run dry,and my pump is not doing anything. I quickly gooped the rest of this tube of silicone into the seam from the inside of the tank.Then noticed the real problem is that this homemade(custom)tank has no real support to hold the glass together.The weight of the water is pushing the glass apart. After much thought,and DIY inginuity,I put a couple of bar clamps to hold the glass in possition.Then siliconed the GAP between the front and side panels. Then tightened the clamp to set the silicone.To keep this from happening again,I took some heavy banding strap material we use at work and wrapped it around the top of the tank. This looks like it is going to work. So to sum it all up,40 gallons of water seems to be the only thing I lost here. No dead fish,and surprisingly even the pump is still working after who knows how long it was running dry.BAAAAD DAY

mr . salty

Well it's been two days now and still no ill effects from putting silicone into the water.The possability of poisoning the tank,and it not curing under water were really my biggest worries.But I am pleased to say this stuff worked great.Everyone should have an unopened tube of it just in case.I used the ALL GLASS AQUARIUM brand. Buy it,it's a lifesaver.

mr . salty

AUGIED believe it or not the owners of my shop would understand,and let me take the time off if I wanted.SEA BASS]/b] I am going to make a retainer out of aircraft aluminum to go around the upper lip of the tank.I will also have two or three front to back glass supports.It will be welded at all the corners,and seams.And to be sure it is done right,I will make it and install it myself. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

thewizzrd

Mr. Salty,
I don't know if you have any support around teh bottom but you may want to add a little there, and also, I belive there is some silicone that will dry underwater, which you apparently don't need but I am almost positive they make it.

mr . salty

Yes the tank does have trim on it,but it is cut to size at all four corners.keep in mind people,I did not build this tank. As for the bottom,the cabinet it sits in is a very snug fit with a 1x6 inch rail.I think the bottom is secure.Plus the bottom has the added piece of glass(the bottom) glued to it.

polka

Mr. Salty.....
Am so glad to hear things are working out!! I had an interesting experience once with a p* s coming apart in the middle of the night and pumping water all over....thank god the power strip (that was getting wet) tripped the fuse and shut everything down. What a mess!!!!! I sympathize with your carpet clean up. So happy you didn't loose and of your friends......