Leaking 210

misfit

Well its been a long time since I've posted here. I do like to skim the boards here and there but no time for anything.
I've had my 210 gal AGA reef ready running for almost 5 years strong now, Untill now when it sprung a leak. And of course it couldnt leak in a vertical seam no it had to leak on the bottom plate. Its only a small leak but a nice steady small leak. All the silicone at the leak site does not look disturbed so i have no idea why this happened. Tank is perfectly level and was checked while it was leaking cause i was courious if it went out of level and the floof is supported with 6x6 in concrete. I have no idea why it would start leaking.
Everybody in the tank made it alive, a bit stressed out and taking to there temp home in there 120 fine. Good thing i only had 2 freshwater fish left in there. They got moved to a 2 gallon.
I have just started doing research on resealing and figured I'd throw the question out on the boards. I have heard That you need to remove all the silicone on all 4 seams on the bottom and redo them all and not just the spot where the leak is.
I called up AGA and they want a whole bunch of pictures of the tank etc and they might be able to help me out.

posiden

I guess I am confuzid.....What is the question? Should you cut out all the silicone or let AGA warrenty the tank?
The pics AGA wants is to verify that is was placed on a good solid stand and probly one that they build, before they warrenty the tank in any way.

misfit

I hopeing AGA will warrenty the tank but they only give 2 years on there tanks and they merged with another company recently and they are giving there new tanks lifetime warranty. I bought my tank 5 years ago. So really its out of warranty. But when i talked to a guy at AGA, he would have to see pictures of the serial number, tank, to make sure it was theirs and stand, and he might be able to warranty it he would have to see.
Im trying to get some DIY info if i have to do it my self.
And i hope they dont give me a problem since i made my own stand, in which i didnt give them to good of pictures of the whole stand just the top few inches.

Thats what I was gonna ask.....
Did the stand get comprmised IE did it bend bow or warp..is it separating anywhere...this could be the cause of your leak.
Send em the pics...what the heck maybe they can send out a local tech or at least give you a good set of how too's....
Is there a plastic bottom brace?
Keep us up!

misfit

The stand did not get compromised. Yes there is a plastic brace around the top and the bottom. There is one tiny pin hole in the bottom plate. And i just got an email from AGA/Aqueon that there not going to warranty my tank. They only gave 2 year warranty on AGA tanks and then merged/bought out or some crap and now there giving there tanks a lifetime warranty. Any ideas on resealing a tank.

Im assuming the leak is in the silicone part? can u see the leak or is the brace in the way...there are plenty of marine epoxies that will work wet...Im thinking repair from the out side maybe....if u cant tear the tank down.
OF COUSE repairing with aquarium sealant from the inside IS the best way to go.

btldreef

Originally Posted by SALAMI TRIGGER
http:///forum/post/3154233
Im assuming the leak is in the silicone part? can u see the leak or is the brace in the way...there are plenty of marine epoxies that will work wet...Im thinking repair from the out side maybe....if u cant tear the tank down.
OF COUSE repairing with aquarium sealant from the inside IS the best way to go.

I would suggest marine epoxy as well until you can afford a new tank if AGA does not warranty it.

misfit

I know exactly where the leak is.
The brace is in the way of sealing it from the out side since it is between the bottom plate and the front vertical plate.
The tank is drained and has nothing in it.All fish and corals were transfered to a 125 gallon saftly nothing died just a bit stressed out a bit. That tank had my freshwater fish in it that were moved to a 5 gallon tank, There were only 2 fish left in it anyway.
It will be a long time till i can aford a new $900 210 gallon tank. I've been thinking of selling everything and getting out of the hobbie for a while since this happened. Its such a downer.
Me the wife and kids loved the tank, Just dont have the funds anymore even if i fix the tank. I need to fix hardwood floors, wall and replace carpet. So thats kind of my priority.

Hey Dude..just Noticed Ur From Toms River..i Just Relocated To Fla..use To Live In Howell!
I Hear Ya About Money....need So Much Stuff For My New House...want At Least A 55gal Again, Wife Is Not Happy I Keep Lookin For One. Sold Everything When I Moved..8 Months Later Im Goin Nuts With Just A 12gal Nanao.