Leaking Glass Tank

kdc3530

I have a 150 gal glass saltwater tank built in the wall, the tank started leaking in one corner from the top to the bottom. Everthing was dead when I returned home from Vac 3 weeks ago. I have replace all the pumps and UPS's I'm ready to get it set backup I have removed the tank and ready to reseal it. The tank came with a trim around the top, bottom and on all 4 corners I removed this trim when I put it in the wall at setup time. The trim cause the tank to look funny, could the be the reason it started leaking ? I need to know some pointer on resealing a glass tank I have no ideal where to start. I tried to fine a shop to make the repairs but they just want to sell me a new one. Thanks for any help that you can give.
:eek:

alex.m

If your tank sealed with silicon rubber the best way to do it is:
Remove all all the silicon from inside corners of the tank. dry it and clean it really good. Apply silicon rubber using a caulkgun. Do the "applying" all at the same time so it won't be no air pockets.
I did it once for my buddy at work 7 years ago --- no leaks ever sinse. Hope it helps. Alex

robchuck

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. From the sounds of things, the lack of trim is probably what caused the tank to leak. The trim absorbs a lot of the outward pressure that water places on the glass, and with the trim gone, the silicone had to do this on its own, causing the failure. Best of luck getting things back up and running!

touchdown34

I am putting a 180 gal. tank in the wall...I do not like the trim as well, however I am putting molding around the edges...makes it look really sharp....
I have a question about your lighting...do you have fans w/ your lights as well?
Talk to ya soon!
Tim

kdc3530

:eek: Yes I had to put a exhaust fan in, it was the only way to control the heat build up. I also add a vent from the airconditioner to pull cool air in. Good luck