LEAKS!!!!

option720

I spent my whole weekend trying to set up my sump and protein skimmer and had to deal with leaks. Not gushing water just little drips that bugged the hell out of me. I am just frustrated because I spent the whole weekend under my tank and it still isn’t running. Just sharing my frustration.

exactly what type of leaks are youhaving? are they from an over flow? because i had this problem, and i had to go high and low to find new washers to fit the bulk heads, and i couldnt find any so i found a washer made for a toilet at HD that still idd not fit until i cut it. But do not do one thing i almost did, and that is using silicone where you may want to remove whatever it is you are using it on, because it will be hard to get off.

trillionaire

Oh I know the feeling. I have one leak that I could never stop. It's a slow leak from one of the bulkheads on the bottom of the tank. It drips directly into the sump so I just left it alone.

When i originally set up my 90 gallon drilled overflow, the bulkheads held the water fine. But when i modified thois for a spray bar and removed the bulhead and put it back on it would not stop leaking, so like i said i used a MUCH thicker washer, and it did the trick perfectly!!!! ahhh what a great feeling..i actuallty accomplished something!

option720

My real problem is coming from my 1 ¼ inch plumbing. My skimmer has a 1 ¼ inch gate valve with a female thread on it. Well I can’t find a 1 ¼ inch bulked to attach the skimmer to my sump so I tried to rig it by just using a male threaded fitting and screwing it really tight to a female threaded fitting and seal it with silicon. That is where I made my mistake and now I am paying the price….drip…………drip……….drip……….drip………..drip……….drip

so is this comming off a skimmer that is sitting outside of the tank somewhere? i had that problem and solved it pretty easily. my skimmer sits outside my wet dry, and it dripped on the floor of my stand, so i solved this by sittin my skimmer in a tupperware container and not right on the stand floor, so the tupperwear catches the leak.. pretty easy

like i said be carefull of the silicone! i know it like burns a hole in your pocket to use, but i really dont think it is all that great, and its almost permanant, if theres away around it, use it

option720

Yahoo!!
I got it up and running and my lifes back to normal. I just used two rubber o rings on both sides and tightened it till my hands hurt. now my sump and skimmer are running like crazy and LEAK FREE!!. It's a great day.