LEAKY TANK NEED ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr . salty

This weekend my two month old tank(40gal fowlr) started leaking.No big loss,the tank was free. I was planning to go bigger,but not this soon. I don't have another tank to use to transfer fish and live rock to.And after all this time and money spent,not to mention the fish,I'd hate to loose it all. Any suggestions would be a big help. How do I do this? STEVE

jimm

A cheap and quick fix would be to buy a large plastic bin (like a Rubbermaid) and put all your stuff into it until you can buy a new tank.
Or the Holdfast epoxy does dry underwater if you know where the leak is located.

mr . salty

Another question. If I go to say,100or125gal,my water,substrate,and filter wont accomodate. Will I have to cycle the bigger tank? If so will the fish be ok in rubbermaid that long? Or maybe lfs will take my fish for a while. STEVE(this sucks)

jimm

You will most likely not have to cycle the new tank for the existing inhabitants.
The amount of biological filtration you currently have is sufficient for your livestock load no matter if it is in a 55 or a 125. Just make sure you add all the rock, gravel and any other bio-matter to your new tank.
I would also use all your used water in the new tank. I would also add some of this used water to the additional fresh water a few days prior to adding fish in order to season it.
That being said, make sure to check the ammonia and nitrite levels for the next few weeks after the change.

barry

Hey Mr. Salty,
You can easily and permanently repair chips and cracks in a glass aquarium by cementing a small piece of glass directly over the break with a silicone sealer. Just be sure that your fish, rock, etc. have a temporary home while you fix the tank.

mr . salty

Found the leak last night.It was dripping at the front,but like a leaky roof,thats not where the hole was. A pinhole in the silicone at the rear corner was the sorce. I've got it stopped for now. If that turns out to be my only problem, I'll be glad. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE,I'll use it later when I can afford to upgrade. STEVE