leapard shark/Blue jaw trigger in a reef?

lar

I have these two guys in my big reef with smaller fish, inverts and soft corals, It's been a month for both, about 4 months with the shark. Has anybody risked it before and succeeded? Possibly a ticking time bomb however no behavior that would even suggest anything is at risk. Nothing missing yet including crabs. I was told the Blue Jaw is a docile trigger which is why I picked him for the test. Just trying to have my cake and eat it with only one tank to keep up. Comments:

jimm

I have had lots of leopard sharks in 40 - 500 gallon tanks. Eventually I had to return a few to the ocean when they outgrew even the 500.
So, it will most likely eventually outgrow your tank.
Also, it will eat whatever is easy or happens to get near his mouth.
In a reef tank, he may bump into things and damage corals.
My tanks were all kept around 76-81 degrees and in years of keeping sharks, I never had any problems with the sharks.
Jim

lar

The shark is from cooler water however i did the research and they do very well in warmer tanks, I keep mine in the 78 f area. He is very active moving from one end to the other. 8ft gives him good swimming room, my rock is in the middle. It's a walk around set up. But YOU CAN'T FIGHT NATURE. after 6 months he has discovered smaller fish in the tank with him. A large green chromis was bit in two. He ate the back side but left the rest. It was a perfect oval bite as clean as any sharp knife would make. I have about a dozen green chromis in the tank. One less each night. down to six. At least he is not a pig about it. It's his nature so alas Green chromis you will be no more. I will find him a new home. It doesn't harass any of the fish during the day, appears to be a great community fish. Unless your a little guy. He is doing great over all health, loves shrimp, I use to feed him by hand but after seeing that chromis I use a feeder stick. I like my fingers. so would he.
"Sharkey this fish is the hardiest in my tank
no way is he going to die. They are a traditional game fish. Good eating I hear. You can catch one for free, but the retailer charges $100.00 something is wrong with that.

lar

Michigan, the most I have seen charged for any shark has been $125.00. They are only available in the spring to mid-summer. They are usually 6 inches when you buy them. Mine is about 10 inches now.