Leather Coral

stro71

Need some help here.... I have a Leather Coral that I bought over a week ago and it hasn't bloomed since. I've moved it around the aquarium twice since I've gotten it. I have Star Polyps that are thriving along with a Trumpet Coral and Brown Button Polyps that are doing fine. The Leather Coral is now drooping and I am unsure of whether or not it is alive. There is no sign of decay. Any ideas or similar experiences?? How would you go about this situation??? ANYBODY??? Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Stro

halide

Don't worry unless it starts to rot.I just purchased a different type of toadstool about two weeks ago and it is just starting to bloom.Depending on the coral some take a little longer if there stressed. My advice is if you know the requirements for it and you think you have it placed in the right area leave it becuase very time you move it or touch it it's only stressing it more.

clayton

I have had a similar problem. I purchased an elephants ear coral about 3-4 weeks ago and for the first 2 days it was doing fine. Then the polyps withdrew and it developed spots/patches all over it that looked like babies cradle cap. I had no idea what the problem was as delicate corals were doing fine and all tests were good. The coral shrank to 1/3 its orig size and I thought it was going to die. Within the last week the 'cradle cap' has started to come off and the polyps are extending. Nothing significant changed in the tank.
The coral was reacting to conditions in the tank that it was not used to. If this specimen had come from deep water then it may have been the light. Otherwise I think the explanation is that in the first 2 days it adsorbed water that was chemically different to what it was used to and reacted by secreting a substance that covered it's surface, either to protect itself or to excrete too much of something that it was not used to.
Over the last two weeks I think the coral has adjusted it's physiology to cope with the new conditions and now looks like it's on it's way to a full recovery.
Let me know if your coral has any strange cream coloured patches.

No need to worry that was one of my first purchases. It would bloom then it wouldn't. I do know that angels pick at the blooms. I moved mine in another tank and put it close to the light and it loved it. Good luck
Originally posted by stro71:
Need some help here.... I have a Leather Coral that I bought over a week ago and it hasn't bloomed since. I've moved it around the aquarium twice since I've gotten it. I have Star Polyps that are thriving along with a Trumpet Coral and Brown Button Polyps that are doing fine. The Leather Coral is now drooping and I am unsure of whether or not it is alive. There is no sign of decay. Any ideas or similar experiences?? How would you go about this situation??? ANYBODY??? Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Stro

stro71

Clayton,
Yes there were white spots that seemed to have subsided but the polyps haven't emerged since I've had it. Now it seems to be drooping a little more adn the stalk also is thinning. On top of that, a green algae form is growing on it. Not hair but a dust form of green algae. It's been a couple of weeks at the most since it's been in there and everything else is fine, i.e. water, other corals. It also shows no indications of decay or rotting otherwise I would've removed it sooner. Thanks for the responses any other suggestions would help other than that I will keep him in the tank and hope he pulls through...... Stro

clayton

Originally posted by stro71:
Clayton,
Yes there were white spots that seemed to have subsided but the polyps haven't emerged since I've had it. Now it seems to be drooping a little more adn the stalk also is thinning. On top of that, a green algae form is growing on it. Not hair but a dust form of green algae. It's been a couple of weeks at the most since it's been in there and everything else is fine, i.e. water, other corals. It also shows no indications of decay or rotting otherwise I would've removed it sooner. Thanks for the responses any other suggestions would help other than that I will keep him in the tank and hope he pulls through...... Stro

Mine is now lookig far better - most of the polyps are back out and he is expanding again. The polyps first appeared in tiny areas that I had tried to gently rub clean. This did not work at first but made a vast difference in the end I think. Keep it free of anything that grows or forms on it by very gently cleaning the area. For mine the most effective thing seemed to be my finger - yes I know is generally a bad idea but I was desperate. The polyps cannot extend if they are blocked. Mine took at least 3 weeks to recover.

kass

A baster works wonders for cleaning corals off. Much better than your fingers. Corals have to adjust to light and current when u get them. Leathers sometimes close up and form a mucus around them and kinda shed their skin. If this happens remove what you can of the skin as it can be toxic to other corals. I have a finger leather I've had for about 13 yrs now, It's huge. For about the last yr it didn't open the polyps much but didn't shed skin or look unhealthy. I just moved it to a bigger tank and the polyps are opening. Maybe it's time to propagate it. When I bought it, it was injured and falling apart but came back nicely.