Leather Finger Coral

roscoe ii

Question? Leather finger coral looks as if it is getting ready to split into two. Original has three trunks. Two end trunks seem to have crowded out the middle and he is slowly pulling up roots and looks as if he is on the move. Should I let it lay where it falls for a while then move it or move it right away? Bought this piece for a friend who is currently out of town and sort of baby sitting it in my tank till he returns a little suprise gift for him or maybe not if he sees this thread. It seems to be healthy and doing quite well.
Thanks

If you just bought it (let me know if you need another friend to buy for;) ) it could be a simple as shipping or collection damage that is presenting itself now that the coral is fully open.
Watch it for a few days. If it does come off the rock then remounting it as soon as possible will give it the best chance of surviving. Do a search on this board for "bridal netting" or "fragging soft coral" and you should get a few posts that could help.
SiF

roscoe ii

Have had it in tank for about a week now. Was fully opend in two days. Left and right were not as close together as they are now. And like I said seems to be doing pretty well. Just would hate for it to die off before I gave it away. If it lives maybe I'll keep the split off for myself. Would that be bad?

roscoe ii

Any info on feeding would also be helpful. As far as I understand these guys are petty self sufficient. I am dosing with Micro-Vert, Phyto-Plex and once in a while zooplankton.