leather tank

renogaw

I think i'll be getting a mantis shrimp soon. i was thinking about doing all leathers, since they dont require the best lighting in the world. in a 20 gallon, whats the chance a leather tank would work? what equiptment would i need?
here's the lights: they are dual compact flourescents with metal reflectors.

spanko

You probably know already what wattage CF's your gonna need for this. The setup looks like it will work. I think the biggest concern will be all of the chemical removal from the leathers sliming. you're gonna need to run a lot of carbon to remove it. So a filter capable of doing so is a must. other than that it will be interesting. Are you gonna make this the build thread?

renogaw

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2631177
Just check the species of em and how toxic they are. I would run carbon. Maybe take out the eggcrate as well.
yea, i was using it as a QT tank when my zoos were having issues, this pic is a little old :)
that penguin biowheel filter has carbon cartridges, will i need to run more?

N

nereef

penguin filters seem like an expensive way to run carbon to me, if you are changing them often. you might be better off by small portions of carbon somewhere and changing it often. how toxic are leathers to each other?
another issue i foresee is that leathers get big. will this be a tank for fragging leathers? if so, you can keep their size down obviously. but the more you mess with leathers, the more toxins they give off i believe.

renogaw

i already have the penguin, and can just put a filter sock in there. i've no clue how toxic to each other they are

florida joe

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2631483
i already have the penguin, and can just put a filter sock in there. i've no clue how toxic to each other they are
I may be able to give you some info on the toxicity, if you can give me the specific leathers you are going to keep In any event this should be a very interesting undertaking for us all to witness good luck

renogaw

lol i never thought this was a new idea hehe.
what would be a good skimmer (even diy?) one? i think an aquac remora would be overkill, since i won't have a sump.

renogaw

corals:
i have some green sinularia, was thinking some lettuce leathers (lfs has em cheap)
one guy in our frag farmer's market has this for sale:
The Solomon Island Mushroom Leather (super long polyps) - $20/1-2" frag

(picture by greg hiller)

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2631169
I think i'll be getting a mantis shrimp soon. i was thinking about doing all leathers, since they dont require the best lighting in the world.
didnt you just have a kid? where are you finding this time?

renogaw

she sleeps :)
plus the inlaws have been helping around the house, or come over and watch her so wifey can do something. F-I-L was powerwashing the house while i was chopping myself up with the hedgetrimmer... :)