Leather Toadstool Question?

elvictre

I just picked up a Leather Toadstool from a LFS that was absolutely gorgeous. It was kind of stuck to 2 different rocks and the guy peeled it away from the really big base rock. Anyway I acclimated it for an hour and placed it in my tank. Right now it seems to be slouching over, also the smell coming off of it is horrible. Can it have gone from being awesome of the LFS to dying? It smelled bad right out of the bag and it was only 15 minutes from my house. Help Please.
Vic

mpls man

what's the color of the base, tan or brown, as far as acclimating, i do this for at least 3-4 hours for everything, i've herd the longer the better, not sure about the smell .

elvictre

It leather was attached to a small piece of rock, but was spreading to the other rocks that it was wedged between. He peeled it from the other rocks and left it on the base rock. It opened in my tank last night but it is in a slumping position. I have it wedged between 2 rocks facing forward and I am hoping that it attaches to those rocks because the weight of it will keep it from standing up straight.
Thanks
Vic

saltydog

Originally posted by elvictre
I just picked up a Leather Toadstool from a LFS that was absolutely gorgeous. It was kind of stuck to 2 different rocks and the guy peeled it away from the really big base rock. Anyway I acclimated it for an hour and placed it in my tank. Right now it seems to be slouching over, also the smell coming off of it is horrible. Can it have gone from being awesome of the LFS to dying? It smelled bad right out of the bag and it was only 15 minutes from my house. Help Please.
Vic

Give it time and it should recover. I've peeled more leathers off rocks, sliced them with razor blades, split them with scissors. They slouch for a few days then seem to bounce back.
Be patient.
-Salty