Leather toxicity

janastasio

Reading a few posts on here about the affect leathers seem to have on other corals in a tank. I went to frag farmers market in CT this weekend and decided to try my hand in some "easier" SPS. I bought a bright green monti cap which is dead (6 days later). I also purchased pink birds nest and brown. Those appear to be fine so far,, but I'm awaiting anxiously. I have a lousy skimmer on my system. Planning on getting a Tunze in the next month or so, just have to save. I'm choosing the Tunze because it appears it will fit my system to how I need it. (weird tank design). My tank is very leather heavy (cabbage, finger, devils hand, kenya, and toadstool). I'm concerned about the health of these birdnests with the aforementioned. I do run carbon in my tank, but have had problems with most zoos opening in my tank. They are not dying off, just dont open all the way. Think this could be related to the leathers?? I have a canister filter that has 5 trays. I put carbon in one of those trays, maybe about a 1/2 cup? Would you recommend more on a 75 gallont tank?? Thanks!

jerryatrick

Carbon should help but they say that corals that are near or around the leathers can suffer. I only have had problems with SPS and leathers. LPS and softies do fine in my tank with leathers. You might not have enough carbon running in your tank. I have a cup full of carbon running in my 42 gallon tank. Not sure which brand of carbon you are using but I advise to stay away from the run of the mill.