Leathers

lexluethar

I've had a devil hand leather that has been showing signs of necropcy (sp*) over the past few months and i've tried a few different remedies. I've tried changing light schedule, flow control, direct flow, and nothing has really helped. It isn't a huge problem as this thing is huge and the only thing showing signs of necropcy are the little tips of it.
I'd like to try an iodine dip and needed some advice. Is this product good to use?
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=6
To do an iodine dip should i dilute the iodine in RO water, then rinse in saltwater befoe placing back in the tank?
How many times should I dip it and how long should i dip each time?

janastasio

Just out of curiosity, what kind of light are you running, and is it possible something in the tank could be injuring it, others corals, anenomes, ect??

lexluethar

I have a metal hallide bulb that is 14000k. My lights aren't the problem, as i've tried multiple locations to see if maybe the light was 'burning' the tissue, it has been both atop the tank, in the middle, and below in the shade and is still having this same issue.
No anemones or other corals... as other corals couldn't really move and aren't in range to hurt it. I run carbon and the leather would cause more damage to other corals than they would cause it.

snakeblitz33

Leather corals are coldwater creatures. Not tooo coldwater, but abient 74 degrees to be happy. They also are deepwater - meaning they really like a lot of blue light. (actinics are the best)
You should probably try "reef dip" to see if it would help if your temp is low.

lexluethar

OKay, my MH is 14k so it is a bit more blue, and i've also go it in the shaded area. My tank on average is 78... so a bit too warm. Do you believe this could be one of my issues with the Devil Hand Leather?
What would the reef dip do? I've never used it before.

snakeblitz33

Reef dip is also an iodine dip. It would make the leather coral slime over and it would also kill protozoan and bacterial infections that could be harming the leather.
Also, if you frag it, it's best to always get a piece of the stalk with the polyps and then immediately reef dip everything for about six to nine minutes.