LED Brands

jayjeep

So I'm still trying to decide what type of lighting I want to use for my tank.. I'm either going to use some t5 retro fixtures from AH Supply or I'm going to go with DIY LEDs.
Right now, I am doing cost comparison and the t5 kit would be cheaper. My main question is for the brand of leds to get....
Rapidled has Cree 3w leds
Aquastyle has Bridgelux leds
I know the Cree are better but would the Bridgelux be fine for a standard 75 gallon tank. The Bridgelux are about half the price.
Also, how important is it to have better drivers? Meanwell vs Maxwellen.
TIA
Jason

acrylic51

Bottom line, right to the point, you get what you pay for a lot of times.....The BridgeLux has/been being used, but I think it comes down to their efficiency........
Not sure on the driver, but sit them side by side and compare the efficiency......You might be saving cash up front, but is it going to cost you more money in the long run to run the other LEDs? The Meanwells seem to be a pretty standard driver along with the Inventronics as well, but each have their pros and cons......

2quills

Bridglux are half way descent chips. No, not as efficient or as powerful as the cree's that most folks are using. But they seem to be descent entry level leds for a first time builder. That website says they have a max current rating for 700mA and if that's the case then they're not truely 3 watt leds. They're more like 2.3 watt leds. But can still work for a 75g tank with optics.
I haven't seen anyone running those maxwellen drivers long enough to comment on how they work. But I've tried to seach for product information, data sheets on them, etc. And haven't been able to find any data in regards to efficiency, warranty...etc. But I'm with Shawn in the idea that you get what you pay for. Plus the one driver that they carry that put's out upwards of 70v D.C. put's you more into the dangerous d.c. voltage category where great care needs to be taken for your own safety when working with them. It also means that it would be wise to take more specific measures to protect the wiring, contacts from ever being able to short out to your heatsinks or what ever frame work that you use to mount the leds to. The Meanwell drivers are proven technology. The ELN drivers come with a 2 year manufacturers warrenty and some of their other drivers such as their HLG series come with a 5 year manufacturers warranty.
So if it were me, I'd go with the meanwell drivers and forget about the maxwellen's. For an extra couple of bux why take the gamble? That's my take on it.

btldreef

Just to add, you can not beat the customer service from RapidLED. Spend a little extra up front, you'll be far happier in the long run. I love my LEDs and they're a Rapid DIY setup

jayjeep

I am probably going to go the rapidled route. I'm not going to buy the kit because I don't need everything that comes in it.
Would I have to have lenses on all of the LED or what is the reason for them? Just trying to save some unnecessary cost on the project.