led lamp question

aquapod 24

would the Evils par 38 led lamp be enough light to keep sps coral in a 245g aquapod?... also could i have some more basic info on led lamps plzz =)

small triggers

uhhh for a 24g pod it should be good enough ,,,im assuming thats what you meant? its still a risk as most of us still dont have enough info on how much par is needed from leds to keep stuff like sps but since they are a little more tolerant of lower light conditions (compared to sps), i would think its enough...just start out slow and see how it goes...

wangotango

They have kits that can be put in the AP hoods too. Don't know if you wanted to keep that or have it open.
-Justin

When Spanko talked about it in some other thread I asked him how many of those you would need on a 24g nano cube. He told me you probably need 2 maybe 3 of them.

aquapod 24

i wonder if i could get away with just 2 and keep sps coral which would still be cheaper that the retrofit kits that go into your hood

spanko

Uhuru on another site has one over a 20 gallon elos mini. But it is a non photosynthetic tank. I think you might get away with two, but may need three on the 24 gallon to keep SPS. Look into the 20k lamps with the 80 degree optics.

aquapod 24

if you think i need 3 to keep sps i would rather get the retrofit thing that fits into the hood because it would be cheaper and im assuming i would be able to keep sps with that right?... do you think the price of these lights will drop significantly in the next 6 months or so since they are a relativly new technology?

spanko

IDK, the hood retro is $300/ The PAR38's are $120.
Have you talked to anyone at the site about this? Only because I don't know what the comparison between the retro and two of the lamps would be from a PAR would be or what the total Lumens would be.

aquapod 24

alright the retrofit is 570Lumens @ 350mA per 6 LED module (approx 1140 Lumens @700mA) but it doesnt say anything about the PAR38

autojunkie

i have recently purchased one of the par38's. i have a 10 gallon and may decide to take a short run at sps due to some cheap frag oppurtunities... let ya know how it goes