LED light setting help

bender77

I just bought this light: CAD lights full length lighting system, for my seahorse tank.
I have some macros(grape caulpera that's do so/so and helimeda that's blah), a mushroom that came out of no where, a small sprig of xenia and a photosynthetic gorgonian. I really would like to add maybe a kenya tree and another gorg. THe problem is, you can adjust the color and the brightness of the blue and white lights and I have no idea what the best setting is to keep them at for my tank. Does anyone have any ideas?

snakeblitz33

To my knowledge, many have claimed that the more bright white a light is, the better coral growth occurs. Many people like the look of 20,000k bulbs, which are more blue, but they keep corals alive and thrive as well. I believe that as long as you have a good balanced mix of both actinics and whites, you should be able to keep almost anything.

acrylic51

Start your lighting slow, and adjust as you acclimate them to the lighting....Kenya is pretty forgiving, and let your corals tell you what they need......

2quills

What type of lighting were you running before? These fixtures say they are the equivalent of 150w halides. So I'm assuming they are 1watt leds. I'd maybe start at 50% whites and adjust your blues till you get the color temp you like. And then slowly ramp up the lighting from there over the course of a couple of weeks.

bender77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/387786/led-light-setting-help#post_3415383
What type of lighting were you running before? These fixtures say they are the equivalent of 150w halides. So I'm assuming they are 1watt leds. I'd maybe start at 50% whites and adjust your blues till you get the color temp you like. And then slowly ramp up the lighting from there over the course of a couple of weeks.
I guess that would help. I had a 20" Nova Extreme Pro - 6x18watt T5HO 3-10k/3-460nm actinics
Thanks for all the help

1guydude

do u like the fixture? I had some CAD fuge lights and they crapped out on me =(....not a fan of CAD!

bender77

Well, I've only had it for a couple of days. So I have no idea on longevity. Here is what I don't like about this certain light. First you can't set it to have the actinics come on and this the daylight. It all has to be done manually, and if you use a timer it resets itself. I didn't realize this or I probably wouldn't have bought it. But I do like the color at it's default setting, so we will see how the tank does with it.